Future of Game programming...

Started by
30 comments, last by snyp 20 years ago
quote:Original post by DIRECTXMEN
Sure have, and I can see why DirectX is so popular. Heck, it's in my name (not that it being in my name would imply how good it is).

I see. And then what is the explanation for OpenGL's immense popularity? If you take into account that they are both currently free technologies and OpenGL is still the API of choice for a vast number of people, it's fairly obvious just how popular DirectX would be if it cost something.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Direct3D over OpenGL. But I'd switch to OpenGL in a flash if I had to pay, and so would everyone else. The technologies are identical in feature set; the only difference is IMO a couple of extra man hours getting some things in OpenGL working. DirectX is not worth money.
quote:
OK...you're agreeing with me. And now that you have bashed the alternative technologies out there, what is left? Unless you talking about that OS that fits on a floppy...

Typical cop-out.

Typical of me? I'm not saying that everyone would switch to other platforms, I'm saying that they would use OpenGL. Even if you seriously believe that Microsoft could get away with banning OpenGL applications in their license agreement, then everything would change. Alternative OSes would suddenly get a huge boost in popularity, which is the last thing Microsoft wants.
quote:
It's not abandoning it. They're making games for it. o_O

Well with out an OS, the hardware is pretty useless. And the XBox is not their proprietary hardware--heard of NVidia? Does the user care about hardware as much as they care about software? No, they only upgrade their hardware (mostly a faster video card or processor) because of software.

There are "casual gamers" on the PC as well. And the XBox is pretty much a PC anyway.

Well, when you're using windows it's no longer open.

What on earth are you talking about? Microsoft cannot compete with every other game developer in the industry, who would switch to alternative OSes. Hell, if alternative OSes don't work out, developers would probably abandon the PC altogether and go for the more lucrative console market. The rest of your argument seems to be completely unrelated to the discussion, so I have nothing to say to that. The PC is an open platform BECAUSE it's common to install things other than Windows on it. When was the last time anyone installed Linux on an XBox so he could play a game?
quote:
The arrogant type huh? I think he would know more than you.

About some things, sure. But that doesn't deny me the right to argue for my own opinions, and it sure doesn't prevent him from ever being wrong. FYI, I read the article you're talking about. LaMothe doesn't even say that this will happen, he just mentions the possibility in a little footnote. Aparrently, he didn't put much thought into it, since he talks about people being "hooked" on DirectX like it's a drug. Ridiculous.

[edited by - twix on March 25, 2004 11:33:46 PM]
Advertisement
Bye!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement