Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torque Engine

This topic is 5006 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, is the Torque Engine a good solution for starting a MMORPG, for 100$ they say they have unlimited support and updates, they also state that it is just as good/better than Quake 3 Engine, and i can work off the code, is it good to go this way, i would like to know mainly because i have a Programmer with 10yrs experiance, able to help me build a MMORPG Engine from scratch, so it comes down to the fact that i may not need to put the 3 months and over $800.00 worth of work, if it is already done and able to be modified in Torque Engine. Any Suggestions?

Yea, except you missed the point of my message, if i pay the programmer to help me out it will be my engine, i will not have to pay royalties(not as much), and maybe the Torque Engine is not the best engine, maybe if i put 2 hours into making a DPlay Server it will be better, as you can see its not about price as much as price for quality, and im kinda looking for a reply from someone who has used the program.

Torque is royalty free outside of requiring you display the Torque logo and link to GarageGames. I have heard complaints from numerous people that it is virtually devoid of significant documentation.

What kind of programmer with 10 years experience is working 3 months for 800.00? Are you expecting to have an engine comparable to torque in that time? Something smells fishy, the math definately does not add up.

Ravyne, NYN Interactive Entertainment
[My Site][My School][My Group]

I would like to see any single programmer build an engine as good as torque in 3 months. I highly doubt it, I think he''s/she''s feeding you a line of crap. Does he/she have any demos to back their work up?

-UltimaX-
Ariel Productions
|Designing A Screen Shot System|

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

Nobody can replicate Torque in 3 months. Not even me ;-)

The only problem with Torque for an MMOG is that the default networking / packet rate is too high for a good MMOG, as you want to be able to deal with 100 players in the same place; Torque can''t really do that on a modem without modification.

Of course, the big problem in MMOG is how to spread load over multiple physical hardware. Torque doesn''t have any support for that; you''d have to build that part all yourself.

Anyway, you could do MUCH worse than starting out with Torque.

I''m considering Torque for a MMORPG as well.

hplus0603 is right, you must develop your own networking layer.

But there''s more: torque doesn''t support dynamic loading/paging of terrains (heightmaps), so it doesn''t handle the enormous terrains that are needed for MMORPGs.

It does have an unofficial "hack" to get terrain grids but it is outdated and was not implemented to handle dynamic loading/unloading of grid areas.

There''s a great demand for games with enormous terrains, and we''re pressing GG to develop their own official solution. However they''re currently pretty busy developing the next Torque version with shaders support. At best we won''t have it until the Torque Shader Engine (TSE) is released.

How about starting small with a single Toruqe level and 100''s of players online. Then expand out to dynamic level loading. Doing dynamic level loading in Torque wouldn''t be ez, it precacluates and preallocates too many resoruces. You''d be better off rewritting a new terrain engine if you wanted a streaming level system. Though you can expand Toruqes network layer with some tweaks to support a MMORPG.

Writting a MMORPG is challenging enough, don''t make it even more challenging by doing everything yourself. Use existing technology and build a game around that.

Good Luck!

-ddn

You also might consider crystal space. http://crystal.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/tiki-view_articles.php

It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.

Matthew
www.Matt-Land.com

All your Windows base are belong to Linux.
All your GameDev.net base are belong to Myopic Rhino