How do they do it..?

Started by
3 comments, last by ageny6 20 years ago
I was fiddling around, trying to make a small sound engine using the windows waveOut API, but came on a deadlock pretty quickly. I was trying to call the waveOutSetPitch function so that I could change the pitch of a looping wav to have the ability to make, say, a doppler effect. But, to my great disapointment, it doesn''t work. So I am wondering. Unless I am not doing the method call correctly, how did older video games that didn''t use DX or OGL change the pitch of a wave file? If I can''t even do it in Windows, it just seems that it would be somehting impossible to do, but it obviously isn''t. My signature used to suck. But it''s much better now.
My signature used to suck. But it's much better and more accurate now.
Advertisement
They might do it in software, but my guess would be that there is either a different function or you''re calling that one incorrectly. I''m sure some code would help.

BTW, your image doesn''t load (403 denied), thus your sig continues to suck.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Just figured out why it didn''t work. It''s because my sound card doesn''t support it! I''m wondering how this is possible, since I have the Audigy2 sound card.

Which brings me back to my original question. How do you code changing sound pitch without DX, ODL, or waveout (since it obviously doesn''t work with me!).

I know my signature still sucks now, I haven''t found a new image to my liking.

Thanks

My signature used to suck. But it''s much better now.

Mix it in software, scale the sample data just like scaling image, with some proper interpolation/smoothing algorithm.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Mix it in software, scale the sample data just like scaling image, with some proper interpolation/smoothing algorithm.
Is it fast?

My signature used to suck. But it''s much better now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement