Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any good references on beggining HLSL?

This topic is 5012 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been looking around Borders and Barnes and Nobles and the ShaderX book seems to use a mix of ps1.0 to ps3.0. I can''t seem to find any good introductory tutorials either. I did find a book, however, called the Cg Tutorial but it the software you use to learn on is incompatible with my ATI card. Thanks, Dave

Cg supports ATI hardware.

The directX sdk, and cg toolkit sdk both come with examples.
Even the Cg runtime comes with a couple of examples.

I understand Cg supports ATI hardware but the software that came with the book does not support ATI hardware.

While I agree that DX documentation is very useful, I''ve never found it a great starting place to learn form. I will try to go through the tutorials and examples in DX SDK, but I''d still appreciate any book recomendations as well.

give us some more info...

do you also want to know what vertex and pixel shaders are?

or do you kinda know what they are and just want to learn HLSL?

One of the books I have is called "DirectX 9 Programmable Graphics Pipeline" by Kris Gray, it''s all about HLSL, and maybe what you were looking for.

It''s OOOOOOOOKay, I think the Cg book is much better though. This book also tells you how to write code that does D3D setup stuff too. Cg Tutorial doesn''t do that, because they''d have to do it once for DX and once for OpenGL.

Just curious, why not just pick up GLSL? It seems like a good idea to do that now. It''ll make your code portable, and you won''t be at the mercy of Microsoft, but instead the your GL drivers to optimize high level shader code [That''s a GREAT thing, btw].

quote:
Original Post by ngill
do you also want to know what vertex and pixel shaders are?
or do you kinda know what they are and just want to learn HLSL?

I want to know all about vertex/pixel shaders, how to use HLSL and how to use HLSL in directx.

I also need to learn about pixel/vertex shaders for a job that I''m getting an interview at. My contact in the job told me I had to learn vs/ps1.0-3.0 and start going over DirectX. So I need to learn vertex and pixel shaders as they apply to DX. I can''t learn GLSL or Cg.

Thanks,
Dave

ph33r,

Get that Cg book! I have an ATI card, and everything in that book you can do on an ATI card (assumming 9800 pro). You can do all the basic stuff and a little more on an ATI card, which is really a ton of stuff. Also, they are adding (little, but more than none) features for people with ATI cards to Cg. Cg is very similar to HLSL, so use everything thats been provided to you, ie the internet, nvidia''s cg website, sdk documentation, etc.

-brad