Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C++

This topic is 5014 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using vb for past 2 years. But i have always seen that every new software and technology is being made by using C++. Can you please tell me why they don''t use vb ( now vb.net ). I am always eager to become a great programer ( although programing is not my field, me field is business & commerce) But i am always interested in software programing. Now please give me suggestion whether should i learn vb.net which is a powerful language or C++. If C++ than suggest some good books i always hate such books which wrote long codes for the result of 1 line. But keep in mind one thing i have solid understanding of vb which can be helpful in learning process of vb.net and of course .Net is one of the most powerful programing framework i ever seen

What kind of things are you wanting to create?

When choosing a language it is good to choose something appropriate to the task in hand.

C++ is a general purpose language which can be used for most tasks. However there are often other languages which are more appropriate for more specific tasks. If speed is an important issue then c++ is going to be what you want. It is likely though that you can write the non speed-critical code in another language such as Python, Ruby or even VB.

you ask me what i want to create. Basically i am simply interested in server side programing. ASP.net is best which can be perfectly programmed in vb.net.

Second purpose is Game Programing. I have read somewhere that DX9 use Managed C++ code and when we talk about managed code .net is must ( maybe i wrong) then in this case vb.net is good ( because both use .Net )

Actually whenever i tried to learn c++ the long codes made me sick it is awfull. This is because i have vb background. Can you please mention any book which teach c++ in an interesting manner rather then stupid long codes...

In order of learning difficulty

Accelerated C++
Effective C++
More Effective C++
or Effective C++ CD combines both
Exceptional C++
More Exceptional C++

All are well written.

If you want to learn application programming for Windows then you should pick up an appropriate book. I don''t have any recommendations for good Windows books. I''ve plenty of bad ones.

There''s nothing you can''t do with your computer using C/C++. The same cannot be said for VB. VB''s big draw is the decreased development time. It sacrifices power and speed for this. If you''re good at VB and can do your projects in it, i''d say stick with it. Eventually, however, you might meet something that VB doesn''t have the solution for. Most commercial games could not be written in VB because of speed and functionality issues. Simpler ''home brew'' games might be possible in VB.

petewood i think you are angry with me actually "3 years" was an error. And as for rewritten question as concern. I bought that book at that time. And now i have completed this book and understand c++ little (i can't give it much time because programing is not my field). I want more books like this so i stick with c++ besides vb.net.

I don't want to take the discussion to the bitter end. I hate such stupid answers careful next time...

[edited by - ehsen on March 26, 2004 7:46:21 AM]