Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stick to walls

This topic is 5014 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

if you''ve seen the game AVP, the aliens can stick to walls, im intrested in something like this, how would you do it? im thinking you need to know what faces soround each other face, so face connection info? any other ideas? but when you have this info, how to use it to determine which face we are sticking to next?

If I were to write such a system, I'd probably use a standard sphere-triangle collision detection/response and just point the gravity vector to the wall when the alien is "attached" to it.

However, there may be (and very probably are) more optimal methods. I just thought this one up

-Nik

EDIT: Vertex neighbour info can be helpful in the collision detection phase.

[edited by - Nik02 on March 25, 2004 3:03:25 AM]

to detect collision you don t find the next triangle to collide with from the surrounding tris but move the actor a bit forward and check if he gets stuck somewhere the only problem with this is to get the correct rotations for the model in order to render it correct(feets on the ceiling not in the air)

quote:
Original post by sirSolarius
Can you move across the floor in your game, even up inclines? If so, make the wall = the floor =)

bit hard when trying to use a physics engine also ;p but good idea unless you walk off a cliff, then you will fall instead of walk down the side of the cliff :-/