Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows Question

This topic is 5016 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently learning OpenGL using the Red Book and the tutorials from www.gametutorials.com. One possibly stupid question I have is, how much of the Win32 API should I learn for games? By how much, should I learn anything beyond creating a window and handling messages? Is it ever needed? These questions are just strictly concerning game development. I have to take C++ and Visual C++ in college (software engineering major) and will learn more about Win32 then, but for now I would rather stick to getting OpenGL down then fooling around with Win32. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The WinAPI is something you learn as you go .. if you can create a window, set up a wndproc and handle messages, you can proceed with the OGL stuff. You should probably spend a little time looking at the windows I/O messages .. mouse, keyboard, etc.

Thanks for the info.

Here''s another question...Should I know the window code off the top of my head? Meaning, right now, I understand the code needed for a simple window and handling messages for it. However, I can''t code one from scratch and sometimes have to look stuff up in MSDN when I forget what a certain function parameter does. I usually take the default code that DevC++ creates for a Win32 app and modify it for my needs.

I ask because I want to know what I am doing, but don''t want to spend too much time learning what isn''t necessary. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Well I've been creating windows with the Win32 API for years now and I still don't remember the parameters for CreateWindowEx. The Win32 API functions, like DirectX ones, just aren't functions with the easiest to remember parameter lists.

edit: So, just use the docs whenever you need; there shouldn't be anything wrong with that

[edited by - nonpop on March 25, 2004 9:33:07 AM]

Yep, I keep a Win32, a DX, and an OGL reference handy whenever I am programming. I don''t think anybody could remember all of the functions'' paramters if they tried. (Not to mention that ms likes to rearrange the order of parameters each new DX version)