Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Internet x LAN

This topic is 5010 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi... I wanted to know if there''s differences between creating sockets for Internet, and sockets for LAN. This because if i run my program in a LAN. everything works perfectly.However, when I try on the Internet, I can''t send any packets.... do I have to create sockets for Internet in a different way?? thanx

or one of the 2 ends could be using a router and would need to use NAT (network address translation) to set up PORT FORWARDING

If you have a modem, cable modem or dsl, you usually get 1-3 REAL IP addresses (depending on the company selling the service) ... then when you want to set up multiple computers at one location, they install a ROUTER, so that the router gets the one REAL ip address, and the internal computers talk to the router ...

if either computer in the chain has an IP address that begins with 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.* it is using an internal address that is NOT routed over the internet, and MUST use NAT / PORT FORWARDING to get messages out.

Firewalls go above and beyond routers, and i don''t know enough to help you if they are involved (most people know if they have a firewall though).