Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keep Thinking Games - Interlcken Released

This topic is 4890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Interlöcken is a challenging new puzzle game from Keep Thinking Games. It is free to download - give it a try! Click an image below to download. Reply to this thread and let us know what you think. **NEW:** Review this game! Click Here to rate the game on Download.com. Click "Rate It". The first page is a big demographic grab - get through it however you wish (you have to give your real email to continue). We would appreciate the effort - ratings on Download.com are valuable and hard to come by. Thanks!

www.keepthinkinggames.com <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - sdyer on March 25, 2004 2:34:12 PM]</SPAN> <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - sdyer on March 25, 2004 5:45:14 PM]</SPAN> 4/1 edit - added images just for fun. <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - SDyer on April 1, 2004 10:00:25 AM]</SPAN> <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - SDyer on April 1, 2004 10:00:56 AM]</SPAN> <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - SDyer on April 15, 2004 2:54:12 PM]</SPAN> <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - sdyer on June 4, 2004 3:43:02 PM]</SPAN> <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - sdyer on June 5, 2004 12:32:54 PM]</SPAN> <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - sdyer on June 5, 2004 12:33:38 PM]</SPAN> [Edited by - SDyer on June 30, 2004 8:27:27 PM]

Well, Vertex, as feedback it''s so-so. I can chalk up an "x" in the column for "people would like a Linux version". Thanks. Something more in depth on the product itself would be of greater interest.

Its quite cool, difficult though reminds me of minesweeper with a different concept, hope we see some more games soon

Regards. Ash.

Thanks for the feedback ACAC. How difficult? Were you able to solve a puzzle? I''ve had some feedback that it''s too difficult to solve and I''m thinking about putting in a tutorial or more hint features.

Thanks RandomZ.

Any more detailed error message so I can start tracking it down?

Also - I have an unreleased German version of the game. I thought about marketing it in Germany. I figured they''d like it for some reason. Is it best to have games in German over there, or are people ok with just English?

Melekor - the trick is to find the solution that never brings a tile back up. The whole board can be flattened by determining which are they key tiles in the solution and clicking those. Let me know if you try again.

Yay, 1.2 works on my machine.

A German translation would be better, but it should be a good one, or it will only damage your image. So, no automated translation programs.

Extremely frustrating! I managed one at 7x7 in 58 secs, but that was with using 8 helps... Definitely not my kinda game.

How do you generate the board? just put random tiles in there or is there actually some sense to it? I ask because if you randomly toss tiles in you can end up with unsolvable problems.
The icons in the menu doesn''t really make much sense.

The installer is buggy. It want''s to install in C:\Program Files\**. This folder is afik only correct in english ver of win (In Norwegian it''s ?:\Programfiler\). My system drive is D:, so even with english win it''s the wrong dir.

Frostburn: yes, I have heard that the game is frustrating. I''ve added additional help on startup, but that may not be enough.

This is actually a rewrite of a game I wrote in 1994. I did it mostly as a programming exercise to learn the integrated credit card processing, marketing, etc. My next product will be much more accessable.

How the board is generated: The program loads up a number of puzzle "style" .dll''s at the beginning of the game. Look in the directory - you''ll see P2T1, P2T2 and P2T3 .dlls. The game currently ships with three styles, with the first available only if not registered. Each style is composed of a number of tile types. Each tile type is a pattern of the tiles that are moved up or down when that tile is clicked. I built what I call an "adjacency table" from the tile types - a big list of which ones fit together most closely - i.e. how many faces are "joined" when one type is placed against another in all possible positions. When each game is generated, I start with a random tile type, then use the adjacency table to place tiles around it. Any leftover holes are then analyzed and filled in. So, each game is completely random.

As for the gameplay: The key to the game is in the *hunt* for the proper tile, not the blind *click-click-click*, which is what players intuitively do (hence the problem with players understanding the game). The tiles are just going up and down - new ones are not being "generated", as someone posted above.

The best way to play is to hold the left mouse down and move around looking for what moves push which tiles down. You''ll find tiles that can only be pushed down by themselves - so they must be part of the solution; also you''ll find move sequences that would have to bring a tile up, so that can''t be a good move.

In 1.2 I updated the hints to only work at the beginning of a game, and only until the user makes a move. I realized that otherwise they are useless, as they might have brought a tile back up if the user had already made some moves.

I''m working on 1.3 updates now, particularly ways to get the user to understand the game mechanic. Feedback from those who''ve played the game, especially those who have "gotten it" and understand the gameplay, is appreciated.

Steve

Frostburn - one more thing, on the installer: I''m using Bersoft''s EasySetup. It is cheap and *very* easy to work with. I''m not sure how much control I have over the target directory - like whether I can pick up on the user''s locale and set drives/directories that way.

I''ll check it out and adjust 1.3, if I can.

To clarify about my response to Frostburn's "is it random and potentially unsolvable" question:

Though each game is generated randomly, the algorithm builds it such that all games are solvable.

[edited by - SDyer on April 15, 2004 2:52:45 PM]

Frostburn: I checked the install - you can browse and select to install the program anywhere. Maybe if I sell enough software to one day buy InstallSheild or commission a more extensive (and expensive) installer, I can detect the user''s settings. Until then, the defaults are what they are.

Thanks, Moo. Glad you liked it. Most people are finding it too hard to "pick up and play". They click around, can''t see what''s going on with the tiles, and leave it. It''s fun if you stick with it and figure out the trick to finding the *key* tiles that solve the puzzle.