Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3ds max plugin | exporting a model as C++ arrays.

This topic is 5015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there any tool for exporting a model to C++ arrays. I found some but they don''t include animation data. Is there any with animation?

What do mean by a C++ array? you can export it as a .3DS file without any plugins and load that in your C++ program. .3DS files include all the information you need for animation.

All the vertex, face and normal data and all other data are stored in a model file, like 3DS.
All the data stored in a model file could also be stored in C/C++ arrays.

example:

float vertices[]={blah,blah,blah,some,values,blah,blah};
int triangles[]={blah,blah,blah,some,values,blah,blah};

I want to make a dynamicly linked model, I'm going to put the model array in a dll.

[edited by - sse2 on March 26, 2004 8:35:54 AM]

cant you just add the file as a resource for the dll?

if not, write your own exporter! i did it, its pretty challenging but, if you write your own, you can brag to people in posts just like this one .

I''ll write my own exporter then.
Anyone found some tutorials for writing 3ds max exporters?

if you have a copy of 3d studio max. re install it, and in the installation options choose for it to install the max sdk (it doenst install by default).

there are many sample exporter plugins with code in there that you can refrence. but be sure to read a ton of stuff in the sdk aswell.

the 2 best projects to look at in the sdk are in:
[maxsdk root]\impexp\asciiexp. that one exports a max file into ascii format. it exports all the settings but in your case youll just need to export the geometry.

the other one is in [maxsdk root]\samples\howto\examples\PerVertexData\testexporter

this one is more basic and just shows you how to create the shell of the exporter. all the true exporting code is in asciiexp. but this one will show you how to architect your plugin.

good luck, this is quite tough!