which engine!

Started by
8 comments, last by Muncher 20 years ago
Hello!!! We are writing a game for our 3rd year project. We have chosen to make a multiplayer version of skyroads! Our team has decided to use the quake3 engine, i was wondering what were your thoughts on the engine? is there a better one to use? Cheers Paul
Advertisement
isn''t that going to cost you a pretty large amount of money? Or has the price dropped with it''s age and in prep for Doom 3?
yeah i thought that the quake3 engine license was over $200,000. maybe he means a MOD? can you even mod quake3 though?

-me
quote:Original post by Palidine
can you even mod quake3 though?

Yes
there''s also the Torque engine, and Ogre, and loads more. But for a simple game like skyroads (but not simplistic), I guess any of these will do, and Quake3 and Torque have good networking capabilities.

Everything is better with Metal.

lol, were not selling the mod! soz guys, were doing this open source and freely distributed over the net. Not only that but we are documenting the thing as well, so all you guys can read up on what were doing.

I haven''t seen a mod for quake3 using vechiles though.. so im wondering if q3 engine is a good choice. I personally think i could write a simple engine for skyroads.... but the team wants q3 engine.....
there is also cipher:

www.cipherengine.com
I don''t get it, how can you use Quake3 engine for open source project? It is a COMMERCIAL ENGINE with a LICENSING FEE ... which means you cannot use it without paying ... unless I''ve lost my sanity in the last few months ...

Torque costs $100 for each developer. Don''t know about the others ....I have the Torque engine, but haven''t used it yet ... got a new job right as I was about to start learning it ... been really busy.
"how can you use Quake3 engine for open source project? It is a COMMERCIAL ENGINE with a LICENSING FEE "

im not sure but the mod it self can be free with source.

"but the team wants q3 engine....."

Your team wants to use q3 for a vehicel game and you/they didnt give any reason WHY?
3D Side-Scroller game demo Project-X2 "playable"Lashkar: A 3D Game & Simulation Project demo @ lashkar.berlios.de
Palidine asked about quake3 being moddable, and as Duke succinctly put it it most certainly is! It''s one of the most moddable games out there. You can make minor modifications (mod) or rewrite the whole game code to do completely different things (total conversion). it sounds like you guys are looking to make a total conversion.

There are plenty of player models that people have made (check www.polycount.com), and there''s the level editor that was released (q3radiant), which was later rewritten to use GTK and renamed to gtkradiant.

The mod code is free to download. Anyone can download it and write a mod and freely distribute it with or without code. After all the mod code is free to download, so why would they want to prevent modders from releasing their code?

However, someone wanting to *use* the mod must own a commercial version of the game. Mods will not run on the q3a demo, they will only run on q3a retail.

IIRC any of the original media that came with q3a (maps, textures, etc) cannot be distributed either. You can only distribute media you create yourself.

Paul, Muncher: as for whether vehicles work, take a look at the "q3rally" mod. it''s not bad. i personally would have liked to see ProMode in there as well... that would''ve been a barrel of laughs... cars airwalking around corners :D

Anyway, good luck with your game, whatever your choice.

Infinity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement