Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scenegraph

This topic is 5013 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Different document gives scenegraph different description. This makes me confusing for sometime. After reading some threads in this forum, I got this conclusion: Scenegraph is a hierarchical game object management system which connect graphics, AI, physics... Is that correct? Kidd

It''s natural that you feel confused. A scene graph is a abstract idea. You could implement it in several different ways. I don''t think there is something like a "standard implementation" of it.

I''ve personally never used a scenegraph for AI and physics.
I''ve alway had the idea that the scenegraph only contained graphical information. But this could just be me with bad information

"I've alway had the idea that the scenegraph only contained graphical information"

you can use it for graphics/culling, but it's basically supposed to contain a hierarchical representation of your scene, not a spatial representation. you can try to integrate both, using for example empty helper nodes that kind of "group" other nodes together. helper nodes would be used to spatially group normal nodes, and normal nodes used for a hierarchical representation.

this is just one way of doing it, and the meaning of the word "scenegraph" also depends on the way your engine is designed and what it does... if it's only a graphics engine, you'll care more about a spatial representation (so you can cull objects more easily) than a hierarchical one, so you can more easily cull away objects, or the other way round if you want to use it for objects transformations.
that's the way I see it anyway..

"But this could just be me with bad information"
it's not bad information, it's your concept of a scenegraph and because it is an abstract idea, there is no "true" definition of it, it depends on the context, and what you want to use it for.

[edited by - sBibi on March 26, 2004 9:14:52 AM]