graphics like those in those games

Started by
8 comments, last by david_dollas 20 years ago
Hi. Please look at those 2 pictures: http://www.cdaccess.com/gifs/screen/ad&dforg01.gif http://www.classicpcgames.com/games/Role-Playing/First-Person%20RPG/Eye%20Of%20The%20Beholder%202%20-%20The%20Legend%20Of%20Darkmoonb.jpg How could a make the view like those. Should i use pictures to draw it, or drawing? What about using directx to the view, and normal forms to the rest...
Advertisement
Could use a ray casting engine like in wolf3d.

-=[ Megahertz ]=-
-=[Megahertz]=-
Drawing just a bunch of square blocks is simple - just draw every block within visible range from sides to center, back to front. If you want to keep it really simple, you could do as you said and use only bitmaps - just pre-render every tile at every possible visible location and blit the appropriate tiles. Drawing polygons will probably be more efficient, though, and certainly more flexible.
If you want to be able to turn 360 degrees freely and move around freely, raycasting is the way to go. However, the screenshots seem to only support 90 degree fixed rotations and moving 1 "cube" at a time. In that case you can easily get away with pre-rendered graphics.

I would recommend doing the whole thing in DirectX and writing yourself some simple GUI code for the buttons (use prerendered button sprites and so on). There are plenty of good tutorials out there for writing GUIs in DirectX.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Thanks for feedback...

It should only be 90 degree for each turn, like 4 turns for a turn around (understod?)

Eg. 4 pictures, for a turn around...

Could one of you please "start me up" with some code for showing direcxt i a frame in a form, og how should i do it?

I some of you know "EYE OF THE BEHOLDER", what about the mouse "pick stuff up" function, how do you think that it should work? a pictures over the "map" or?

Have a look in the DirectX articles section for working with GUIs.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Yes, i understand, but i could use some start up...

I alsov got a problem with the way a map should work

I was thinking about something like:

mapstring(0) = "WWWWWWWWWW"
mapstring(1) = "WFFFFFFFFW"
mapstring(2) = "WFFFFFFFFW"
mapstring(3) = "WFFFFFFFFW"
mapstring(4) = "WFFFFFFFFW"
mapstring(5) = "WFFFFFFFFW"
mapstring(6) = "WFFFFFFFFW"
mapstring(7) = "WFFFFFFFFW"
mapstring(8) = "WFFFFFFFFW"
mapstring(9) = "WWWWWWWWWW"

How could i read it, so that i could only be posible to "walk" on the F and not the W

dude, you seriously need to read some elemental programming tutorials. ill give a hint: arrays are your friend.
Hey, i''m not a new dude, and what i showing is a array, but how could i read it all like a select/case, or?
Eye of the Beholder was cool. Never ended any of the three though.

Personally, I would do the whole thing in opengl, switching between orthogonal and perspective view...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement