• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McZ

parsing a text file

This topic is 5349 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying to create a SettingsManager where I can register a type of setting and what IDTag it has in the config file and a default value e.g.

int MyValue; // this is the value read from my config file

/*
first all stuff needs to register what stuff they want to have in the settings file
*/
cSettingsManager::Create()->Register( "MYVALUE", &MyValue, 10 );

/*
when all things that wants to have something from the config file has register ther Settings values we can read the file. which is plane text
*/
cSettingsManager::Create()->LoadConfig( "Config.cfg" );

/*
becouse I register all Values first I can create a new config file from the registerd values and there current/default value.
*/
cSettingsManager::Create()->SaveConfig( "newConfig.cfg" );
well... the problem is when I parse a file it works perfect when there is no whitespaces on the line to parse if the config looks like this it works MYVALUE=555 but if it looks like this it doesn''t work MYVALUE = 555 is there a way to remove white spaces from a line?

Advertisement
yes I''m using C++ but I can''t understand how "std::cin >> x; if(x == "some_token") std::cin >> some_value;" will help me with reading a file and remove whitespace characters.

std::cin does this thing called "tokenization" on your input. If for example you try to read in a string value with the overloaded ''shift'' operator, it will skip leading whitespace, and read in text until the next whitespace.

So in your example, you would read in a string, check that it matches "MYVALUE"; read in another string, make sure it matches "=", and then conclude that you need to read in an int and interpret it as MYVALUE. Of course, now you need to handle the case when the spaces *aren''t* there

This is really the sort of thing that is better done with higher-level languages/tools. Try researching "bindings" for Python (or other scripting languages - I''m a Perl h4><0r, personally) to C++. Alternatively, see if you can find a good "regular expression" library for C++.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Of course, now you need to handle the case when the spaces *aren''t* there

Read the whole line with std::getline into a std::string

Use std::string::find on the ''='' to get an index

You can then std::string::substr the two parts into the ''key'' and the ''value''

If it is a numerical value, create a std::istringstream from the value string and then use the extaction operator to put this into a variable (of the appropriate type).

string file_line ("VALUE = 100";
string key = file_line.substr (0, file_line.find (''=''));
string val = file_line.substr (file_line.find (''='')+1);

key = key.erase (val.find_last_not_of ('' '')+1);

istringstream iss (val);
int v;
iss >> v;

The find_last_not_of bit is so you can strip the trailing whitespace but still keep multi-string keys e.g. "MY VALUE"

Also, you can check the return of ''find'' to check it is a valid line with ''='', the state of iss to ensure a suitable value was read, the first character of file_line to see if it is a comment ... blah blah error check blah

Guest Anonymous Poster
>>> key = key.erase (val.find_last_not_of ('' '')+1);

key = key.erase (key.find_last_not_of ('' '')+1);

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!