MSVC .NET profiler?

Started by
4 comments, last by RuneLancer 20 years ago
When I was using MSVC 6, I had access to a rather simple yet infinitely useful profiler which was built-in the IDE and came with VisualStudio 6. I''m currently at work, where we use .NET. Apparently, Microsoft removed the profiler from MSVC .NET...? How or where can the profiler be found? Having access to this would be really useful. If it''s gone, any idea why MS decided to remove the profiler? It would sound rather dumb of them and unlikely... Thanks!
Advertisement
The profiler is definately out of the Standard version of VS .NET, I can''t find it in Pro either (it may be there I didn''t look too hard), and I don''t know anything about Enterprise.
I don''t know why they removed it, it was kinda handy, but there are other profilers available (for free or cash). VTune comes to mind for a costing one, but there is one from AMD for free, and possibly a couple others (try searching the forums I think it''s been asked before fairly recently).

-Mezz
Try the DevPartner Profiler. The Community Edition is free.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Hrm, that''s what I feared. Well, DevPartner sounds rather promising, thanks

Still can''t see why they''d remove the profiler... Maybe some engineer at MS forgot to add it to their final release. Stupid drunks.
maybe they were afraid of bundling lawsuits?
IIRC, there''s a profiler in the Enterprise and Architect editions of MSVC 7.1.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement