Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collusion Detection

This topic is 5012 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey- I''ve been programming for going on 8 years, but I''m just starting to learn graphical programming. So...if this is old stuff, please let me know!! In 2D: Given a shape drawn of any number of points around a center, where the more points that exist, the closer the shape represents a circle (i.e. no ''dents''): In order for a collusion to occur between two of these shapes: Find the closest point in Shape A to Shape B (excluding the center point) Ditto for the closest point in Shape B to Shape A Distance(ClosestA, CENTERB) < Distance(ClosestB, CENTERB) Is there a case when this can''t be true?

Sure, what if you have two very narrow triangles that intersect, yet none of the points of one lie within the area of the other? Also, the word you''re looking for is "collision", not "collusion", which means cooperation.

Palidine-
I graduated with my BS in CS at age 18 (I''m 24 now). Haven''t been to school since. But thanks!

Escherial-
It follows to reason that if the test is done both ways, that can''t be true, can it?

I.E.

Distance(ClosestA, CENTERB) < Distance(ClosestB, CenterB)
||
Distance(ClosestB, CENTERA) < Distance(ClosestA, CenterA)

(Forgive my psuedocode, and my lack of grammer. I did skip a few classes *grin)