Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The big question!

This topic is 5012 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok here it comes: How many programers/coders does an average game need? by average I mean like quake or something... thanks! [edited by - zerorender on March 26, 2004 3:19:59 PM]

I think the Quake engines were mainly programmed by Carmack alone... But he's different

[edited by - nonpop on March 26, 2004 3:25:11 PM]

The question isn''t "how many coders does it take to complete a game", it''s "how long am I willing to spend working on this".

If you were to take a simple FPS (just a working engine, nothing special at all) and a team of indie programmers with some good experience, it might take a single programmer a few months. A team of 2-3 programmers might take about a month. A team of 5-6 programmers may take a week or two IF they can work together very well. A team of 40 programmers may never be done.

Of course, it also depends how long you spend working on the engine on average in a week''s time.

There''s no real answer to your question. It''s like asking how long it takes to grow facial hair: no two situation are alike. (For the record, I first shaved when I was 14. My work collegue behind me was in his early 20s...)

It really depends if the "programmer(s)" are required to draw graphics, create sounds effects, design layout, write story, and compose music