Declaring private pointers in class

Started by
5 comments, last by methinks 20 years ago
I''m trying to write a link list program, and within my Node class, I want to declare pointers to other nodes. The problem is that it won''t let me declare them how I want. When trying to place the declarations in the Private: section of the header file, I get the compiler error only const static integral data members can be initialized inside a class or struct (This is using VC++ 2003) As such, I''m forced to declare the pointers in the CPP file, just before the functions, which I believe makes the pointers global. Does anybody know how or where I can declare the pointers to make them private?
Advertisement
It''s easiest if you try posting code showing what you want to do.

That being said, you''re probably trying to initialize a member variable outside of a constructor, which is not valid C++. If you want to give a member variable an initial value, you should do it in the constructor.
i.e this is wrong (C++ != Java):
[source]class foo{private:    foo * myFoo = NULL;};

while this is fine:
class foo{public:    foo()    {        myFoo = NULL;    }private:    foo * myFoo;};

-me

[edited by - Palidine on March 26, 2004 4:07:05 PM]
looking at the error you have, the problem does not seem to be the declaration, but you seem to initialize the pointer in the declaration.

class someClass{public:  someClass();  // ...private:  // this is bad, you can''t initialize a variable in a class  // declaration  sometype *pSomething = new sometype();  // this is the way to do it  sometype *pSomething;};// in your .cpp filesomeClass::someClass(){  // now you can initialize the pointer  pSomething = new sometype();}
Matt
You didn't give any code but according to the error message you'are doing someting like this:
class c_node{private:    c_node* other_node = NULL;   // that's it, you're trying to initializing the variable};  

Instead, you should do it this way:
In header:class c_node{public:    c_node ();private:    c_node* other_node;};In cpp file:c_node::c_node () : other_node(NULL)  // this initializes the variable to NULL when the c_node is instantiated{   // ...} 

EDIT: Wow, everyone saying the same thing and everyone was faster than me

[edited by - nonpop on March 26, 2004 4:09:28 PM]
that is because the way the compiler initializes variables in VS.net. You can not init a pointer like so either.

class x{
public:
x();
private:
long *Ptr;
}

x::x(): Ptr(null)
{

}

something wierd about VS.net

--
What are you nutz?

I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.

Sorry left the variable out and the code smiles

[edited by - afterburn on March 26, 2004 4:16:50 PM]
--What are you nutz?I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.
Wow, thanks!

That helped, I''ve got it working now.

Sorry for the stupid question, but though I''ve been programming for a bit, I just started working with classes and pointers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement