• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tree Penguin

Stupid Specularity / Reflectiveness question...

This topic is 5259 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, is specularity the same as reflectivity (like a mirror)? I think it is like this (please tell me if i am right or wrong): Wood or stone: diffuse Metal / plastic: diffuse and specularity(reflectivity) Mirror: specularity(reflectivity) Am i right? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
No they're not the same (this is raytracing fundamentals - however, it's been a long time since I've been reading up on those). Specularity is more like the shininess of the surface, which defines the amount and location-based intensity of the excident light (the light that is reflected off the surface) where as reflectiveness defines the relationship between incident and excident light. In simple terms:

Specularity is the amount of glow generated by a lighsource on the surface (through surface properties), which can be used to identify hotspots of exposure on a surface. Example: a non-shiny (rough) aluminum kettle in a spotlight carries specular properties.

Reflectivity is the surface's ability to bounce off incoming light in its original (color) spectrum . Example: a mirror is an almost perfectly reflective surface.

To use your examples:

Wood or stone: diffuse
Metal / plastic: diffuse and specularity (but very little reflectivity)
Mirror: reflectivity (but very little specularity and minimal diffuse)

If anyone can offer a better explanation, go ahead (also correct me if I'm wrong).

Googling will also help you quite a bit.

"Finishing in second place, simply means you are the first loser." - PouyaCat

[edited by - crispy on March 26, 2004 5:01:12 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!