• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Laurens VH

Making a Tetris clone...

This topic is 5374 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

... as my first game. I was thinking of just doing the engine, perhaps storing the game field as one or two 10x30''ish matrices and then just having an ASCII shell that draws it all. I have some (basic) C++ knowledge and a Linux compiler. I really would like to do it in console. Any ideas? Where do I get started?

Advertisement
You seem to have a good idea of what you want to do. What's the problem?

I think it's always a better idea to give it a go on your own rather than having someone walk you through it.

A small game like this can be represented as a simple loop: Get input from the user, figure out what the game needs to do to react, redraw the "scene" with your ASCII graphics, maybe make a little delay so the game doesn't run too fast, and rinse and repeat.

[edited by - twix on March 26, 2004 5:43:01 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!