Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

State of Risk

This topic is 5010 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In building a NN for the board game Risk, how would you represent the state of the board? How would you determine what moves to make? Your comments would be appriciated. Thanks, T

you could probably represent the board as an influence map (google it). if it's a NN, just train it against other NN under some kind of genetic algorithm environment, perhaps.

you could develop a simple heuristic, i'm sure, with the influence map. if you increase your influence on the board it's a better move. however, the concept of determining what move to make and using a neural network are orthagonal concepts. the point of using a NN is to have it learn what moves to make based on training, not for you to tell it how to make a move. the point of neural netoworks is to learn stuff in an adaptive way.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on March 26, 2004 6:58:43 PM]

Thanks for the reply. I''ve just started reading about this stuff in the last month or so.

Could two of the NN output nodes be which territory to attack from and which territory to attack? Could it learn the map so that it wouldn''t attack from Siam to Alaska for instance?

I''ve also thought about multiple NN based for the different stages or a turn...placing armies, attacking, free move, etc. But I don''t know how to tie them together.

With your suggestion in mind, maybe an influence map could be feed into the NN. I''ve read a little about TD-Gammon and it looks like the output of that NN is just the probability of winning from the current state. Maybe that''s what needs to be done with Risk.

Thanks,
T

I don''t think its the best, but I''d like to learn ANN''s and I like Risk. Plus, this report got me interested...

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/boom/2001sp/choi/473repo.html

I''m thinking about representing the board, which as 42 territories, with 6 inputs for each territory. Each input would be a player''s number of armies on that territory.

I''d have additional inputs representing the continents and the points gained by owning them.

I also like Palidine''s idea of an influence map, but somehow integrate it''s results into the NN. I might use this to place initial armies or the free move at the end of the turn.

How would I train it to show the territories to attack from and to?

Thanks,
T

as timkin pointed out probably not the best solution for this particular problem, but since you're just doing it to learn NNs, that doesn't really matter

hrm, you might try something like 2-3 inputs per territory. 1 input is theirs/mine, the other input is number of armies (stronger signal for more armies). outputs would need to indicate which territory you are attacking from and with how many units and you'd need to indicate the territory you are attacking. so agian, perhaps 2-3 nodes per territory.

the short is that you don't give it any groundrules. you stimulate the inputs and have it give a response. you then run some kind of back propigation mechanism to train it on whether or not that was a good answer. for instance, if it tried to attack from one country to another country that doesn't border it, you would send a strong WRONG signal back through to correct the node weights. similarly you'd have to train it to not attack itself. then you'd have to get into more strategic kind thinking like try and attack from somewhere that you are strong, to somewhere that the enemy is weak.

all in all it's going to be a nightmare of a task for a NN to learn. perhaps just trying to teach it a single rule like don't attack from one country to another that doesn't border it would be a better experiment. ignore everything about numbers of armies. ignore everything about teams and whether or not you own the territories. in fact, perhaps if you want to continue down this line you could arrange to train several different neural networks different rules and have them feed into each other somehow. i dunno, it's definitely a complex task and something you would have to experiment with a great deal.

definitely start simple. if you start with the goal of "learn to play risk" you will get frustrated b/c it may take you an extremely long time to get there (months, maybe even years). with a simple rule to learn as a starter you might expect to get results sooner.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on March 26, 2004 11:14:24 PM]

quote:
Original post by trepan
I''m thinking about representing the board, which as 42 territories, with 6 inputs for each territory. Each input would be a player''s number of armies on that territory.

That''s 252 inputs right there, which is quite a few, and you want to add more. I doubt that this will prove workable.

If you insist on using a neural network, my guess is that your best bet will be to use a neural network as an evaluation function which gives the likelihood of winning, and base it on useful summaries of the current state (number of territories held, dummy flags for holding each of the continents, etc.). Such an evaluation function could be used within a search which computes (using probability) likely outcomes possible moves.

-Predictor
http://will.dwinnell.com

You see, as far as I know, a neural net doesn''t allways produce the right answer. As it tries to generalize, it may sometimes to the wrong thing in order to to the right thing most of the time.

What I''m trying to say is that even if you only want to learn about ANNs, you should model something that may work. It would be really weird if from time to time an army could move to a country it doesn''t have a border with. This is a rule that could easily be implemented without neural networks, and the purpose of a neural net is to do stuff that is hard do model.

I think you could make sure the world is consistent and use an ANN to choose the better movement from a list of valid ones. A good way to check that, as already pointed out, is the increase of influence, but this is a very local strategy, you would need a global one. What do you think?

quote:
Original post by Palidine
hrm, you might try something like 2-3 inputs per territory. 1 input is theirs/mine, the other input is number of armies stronger signal for more armies). outputs would need to indicate which territory you are attacking from and with how many units and you''d need to indicate the territory you are attacking.

I doubt this would be feasible. Imagine how much we should expect all of the outputs to change simply by flipping a few, even one, territory''s input for whether we or the opponent own it. This implies a need for an astronomical amount of training data, to cover all the possible combinations of inputs.

I recommend generating some set of derived features which summarize the state of the game, and using that in a model with much less ambitious output than the exact move to be made.

-Predictor

Sounds like simple is better at first. How about...

One input for each player (6 inputs) showing the number on territories owned.

One input for each player stating the number of armies owned (6 inputs).

One input for each player stating number number of continents owned (6 inputs).

I don''t think this representation will give any type of grand strategy but as Predictor suggested it would give a percentage of winning from the current state.

I could then loop though all possible moves and check the NN to see the percentage if I own a territory and choose the highest one. Although I seems like I could derive a simple function to determine this.

What if I go a different route...sorry about the rambling but you guys are giving me good ideas and I''m sure saving me a lot of programming time.

What if each territory had it''s own mini-NN that produced a need signal. The inputs could be quite few, but highly strategic in nature. Number of armies I contain, closest enemy army, number of territories needed to complete my continent, my influence map weight, number of friendly and enemy armies within two move, etc.

Inputs for each territory could be less than 10 or so but these would be feed into a larger NN that takes into account this need signal.

quote:
Original post by trepan
I don''t think this representation will give any type of grand strategy but as Predictor suggested it would give a percentage of winning from the current state.

Why use an ANN to generate these percentages? There are plenty of other learning and classification algorithms that could generate this data for you, given a training set. If you''re doing this just to learn ANNs, then I would highly recommend you implement the ANN as well as one or two other methods, so you can compare the complexity of implementation and operation, as well as the usefulness/accuracy of results.

quote:
Original post by trepan
What if each territory had it''s own mini-NN that produced a need signal.

This was going to be my suggestion if you were insistent on using an ANN. The benefit here is that you can train the network for each territory based on either the first or second order neighbourhood (that is, the direct neighbours, or the direct neighbours and their neighbours). This is typically going to be a lot easier than trying to work out the influence on a given territory from a territory far away.

However, I don''t believe you should feed the results into a bigger ANN. One idea would be this:

For each territory, produce just two outputs: 1) a suggestion to attack into, defend, withdraw from or ignore the territory; and, 2) the number of troops suggested to accomplish this aim. Once you''ve processed every territory on the board (and many of these will be ignore/zero), then you have a resource allocation problem to solve. Think of the output from each network as being the recommendation of a local expert. You need to weight the value of each recommendation given your goals. The more a given suggestion aligns with your goals, the more value it should have. You only have a finite number of troops, so, the solution to your resource allocation problem is to maximise the value of your next set of moves, while ensuring no conflicts (that is, ordering the same troops to attack two different territories).

This is not really an appropriate problem for an ANN, although admittedly you might be able to get a reasonable answer out, if you could generate a large enough training set. The inputs would be the values of each suggested move and the current disposition of your armies. Obviously, the value of a suggestion is goal dependent as well, increasing the state space by a factor equal to the possible number of goals you consider. Realistically, the state space is too large for an ANN (IMHO).

Personally, I would solve this problem in a slightly different manner. Rather than using an ANN to generate the local recommendations, I would simulate many conflict scenarios on the first order and second order neighbourhoods of a given territory and devise from this a probability distribution over outcomes of recommendations (attack, hold, withdraw, ignore). Then, one can work out the expected utility (expected value) of a given recommendation, givne a utility function over territories. Maximising this expected utility over all territories would then provide a set of recommendations that are provably rational given the inputs.

In terms of understanding the particular problem you are trying to solve (in terms of learning conditional probability distributions in arbitrary dimensions), you might want to read up on Markov Random Fields.

Cheers,

Timkin

quote:
Original post by trepan
One input for each player (6 inputs) showing the number on territories owned.

Do you mean to do this with as many as six players? Ugh. I assumed that you were working on just the 2-player scenario. I''m afraid this will become hopelessly complex (for the "estimate probability of win" solution) with so many players.

-Predictor

Yes, you can have up to six players. I was hoping to play them against each other and train using genetic programming.

The more I think about this the more I come to the conclusion that if I have 6 inputs for each territory showing the number of armies per player I can represent every state of the board.

All there are are armies and territories. Only one of the six inputs for each territory will have a value. I can have one output stating a probability of winning from the current state.

For placing armies or deciding where to attack I can just loop though the possibilites and choose the ones that result in the highest NN return.

Shouldn''t the NN learn that certain combinations of territories results in more armies at the beginning of turns (owning Austraila for instance)?

Am I heading for a long exercise in futility using this setup?

Thanks,
T

quote:
Original post by trepan
The more I think about this the more I come to the conclusion that if I have 6 inputs for each territory showing the number of armies per player I can represent every state of the board.

Ignoring the cards, which each player keeps hidden, the entire current state of the game can be described by the number of armies for each player on each country plus whose turn it is. Taken raw, however, all these variables define an enormous input space.

Within this 252-dimensional (= 42 territories * 6 players) space, there are a great many regions of rapid change (such as at the boundaries of continent control)- all of these need to be learned by the neural network (or any model, really).

Note, too, the needless duplication within this space: if we simply switch the territory holdings of any pair of the other players, the game doesn''t change, from our perspective (ignoring the order of turns), but this is not immediately obvious to the model and must be learned from examples.

If you insist on using a neural network (or whatever learning system), I''d suggest trying to simplify the game state representation through heuristics. As simple examples, I''d start with things like (For each player): Total number of territories held, Total number of armies and Total number of cards, Detail of continents held (6 dummy variables).

I highly recommend not using a neural network to output the next move. I''d wrap the neural network predicting probability of victory in some sort of search, using Monte Carlo or basic probabilities to quickly assess the likely outcome of battles.

-Predictor

Thanks for the help guys...great forum. I''m going to hit the programming trail and see what happens. I''ll post my results here (if they mean anything).

T