• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alnite

does anybody know how Windows desktop handle 8-bit colors?

This topic is 5319 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

AFAIK 8-bit means you can only have 256 colors displayed at a time. If I set my desktop to 8-bit, then the palette used will be, I presume, Windows default palette. If I change the palette, the color would change also. However I tested it to display some 8-bit bitmaps (in 8-bit desktop) that have totally different palette. The bitmaps look correct, but the desktop doesn''t change its color. So it''s like more than 256 colors there. I am confused.

Advertisement
I don''t know what you mean by "isn''t really 8-bit" because the display adapter most certainly is and will only be capable of displaying 256 discrete color values.

Search MSDN for an article by Ron Gery, "The Palette Manager: How & Why" (or something like that). It''s probably the best source of information regarding Windows palettes.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!