writing empathic agent

Started by
2 comments, last by Neoshaman 20 years ago
i would try to be quick human are empathic agent, we tend to attribute emotion to everything or to project our own on object or people to interpret their intention or feeling even if they don''t have or we are mistaken, psychologist call this fonction "theory of the mind", narrativist says that it''s the core of narrative intelligence in game we focus on more problem solving than emotional feedback rather than designing intelligent agent we would have some emotional agent which provide the player the sense that they are alive resuming: what are the trick that we could use for this ________________________________________________________________ this thing actually hit me directly because i have a syndrme which made it more difficult for me to see the emotionnal context, difficult thing to life with since you can''t react in match with other (but also have the charm, as they say me, to being more honnest) asperger tend to have greater rational analysis ability too (it''s the emotional analysis which failed at some point, autism is sever form of this, asperger would look normal people sometimes too or not very comfortable) if you have tips >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> be good be evil but do it WELL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Neoshaman
human are empathic agent, we tend to attribute emotion to everything or to project our own on object or people to interpret their intention or feeling even if they don''t have or we are mistaken,
psychologist call this function "theory of the mind"

Actually you would probably want to call it personification, anthropomorphism, or animism

quote:
in game we focus on more problem solving than emotional feedback
rather than designing intelligent agent we would have some emotional agent which provide the player the sense that they are alive

resuming: what are the trick that we could use for this

What types of tricks do you want? Visual symbols like in comic books: making the screen red around the edges for anger, making the screen shake for shock, et.? Or do you want writing things specifically, like writing atmospherically to make the reader feel paranoid or sad or excited...? You can use tricks of sound effects too, to cue the player to feel dissapointment or triumph (like Pavlov''s dogs, lol).

Do you want to try to directly affect the player''s mood, or do you want to try to effect it sympathetically by portraying the NPCs'' emptions, or both?

quote:

this thing actually hit me directly because i have a syndrome which made it more difficult for me to see the emotional context, difficult thing to life with since you can''t react in match with other (but also have the charm, as they say me, to being more honest)
asperger tend to have greater rational analysis ability too (it''s the emotional analysis which failed at some point, autism is severe form of this, asperger would look normal people sometimes too or not very comfortable)
if you have tips

Hmm. If you aren''t sensitive to people''s emotions, why not let some one else handle that part of the game design? I have no ability to detect the nuances in music, so I have learned to leave music composing to people who can. Although, if you wanted to learn to be better at analyzing people''s emotions, you could probably study that. You could read about body language, or do a reading comprehension exercise with a tutor where you focused on what the characters were feeling at each point.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

hello again

i''m thinkin of any aspect that would make the experiance different, but i have in mind the zelda majora as example
the first time i have play the game i was blown up but the life of the principale town and the developpement of story ark, i have felt very strange for example when i have finish the quest of the lover at the first time, which happen at 5mn of the end of the world, and you have to escape using time travel, i have saty for about 4mn looking them staring at me, knowing that they would die,
the game was script but i have felt, this is exactly what i want a game be, and start thinking about binary dm and dinamic storytelling, from this game come the notion of fate and destiny in game design
casual hardcore gamer did not really invest them with the life of the central town while i was moving along just to see how things are living and to see how the fate (the moon) affect us, the wall binary dm come from here but in dinamic fashion

the fact is that in a such a game, npc are not design to be intelligent but to be empatic, they seem more beleivable that another A* robotic minion, they exist solely on dramatic fct

the other example was chrono trigger and half life
in chrono trigger all enemy has some behaviour that made them more than generic enemy, for example , they have activity on the map, they sleep, play etc... or even some of them are not ennemy, like the one which don''t want to battle because he find the view beautiful,
in halflife you have a lot of script behaviour that was the same
and the combat ai itself was not that a revolution it''s the same old system with a trick that use empathy to make them apear more than they was, actually for each condition the system as a set of random state, for ex it would get made if energy get low or want to flee away, empathy see this like having a personnality, when many agent come in the diversity of reaction made them like they work in group but was not!!! very clever! our mind build all of them
it''s more than designing, it''s WRITING
however more aspect could be analyze

it''s more than portraying it''s adding the element that the player would make is own interpretation and fill the gap beetween that wasn''t really told

it''s not that i''m not sensitive but i''m not good at social inferance, it''s an over fiiting of the brain around rational thougth while social hold irrational behaviour that would be hard to find the logic behind (but not impossible), i could learn rationnaly the truth behind each act that people would not even suspect, but it made me unsecure because i would never be confident of my analysis and it don''t help fiding how to act
the trick is that knowing how flying work and flying is two differnt things, bird don''t know how it work but fly
it''s more like the rational part not well link to the emotional part, actaully i''m in an art school, and for the art school standard i''have ''potential'', the problem is when logic is separate with emotion you have a loss in control and problem to interprate or choose (too many possible), i have failed twice the first year, and the third they had still kept me as a free candidate (it''s their choice)
i''m also the chara designer of a team for an rpg (sankaos evolution), even if there is more skill drawer because my character has something more (i pay special attention to face and eye mirror of the emotion )
this made me then the best to have the distance one must have to analyze emotion , i DO have emotion but they affect me differently (i''m the same for you that for me an extenal person that have to know more about his reaction, i know what i''m feeling by seeing somatic effect and sometimes mind effect that seems external to me, like being confuse, allowing me to run the rational analysis in background without any problem but without actually controlling well the output)

the other things, i tend to speak too much and try to explain everything and feel guilty about it EVERYTIMES, like here

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
OT: Oh you're an artist too? That's cool. I'm also a concept artist, I do anime-style characters, clothing (my favorite! ), monsters, and architecture. If you want to look at some of my stuff, look HERE. Do you have any of your art online? You could post some in the art forum, there's a "Post Your Art" thread running at the moment.

Edit: fixed link

[edited by - sunandshadow on March 28, 2004 1:15:32 AM]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement