Side-Scroll Demo

Started by
14 comments, last by PhilVaz 20 years ago
Side-Scroll Demo, megaman animation, full screen Direct Draw 1.0 cpp source | EXE Seems to work fine on all the Win machines I've tested, so I'm making a full game with this. Tiles are 50 x 50 pixels each, display 800 x 600 with clipping. VazGames.com Phil P [edited by - PhilVaz on March 27, 2004 1:27:48 AM]
Advertisement
nice...make sure you post the final game
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Pretty impressive!

The animation is a little jerky at times, but very well done nevertheless. You might want to consider making jumps shorter and faster though.
Smoothed the scrolling a little bit. Same link as above.

Thanks for the comments. Need to figure out collision detect with platform tiles next.

source | EXE

Phil P
Looks good, runs smooth.

Found two issues, one major and one minor.

When you run right, then left at the start, the camera ''snaps'' suddenly when it realizes its leaving the borders. Doesn''t seem to do this on the far-right.

Also when you''re jumping and land, you need some sort of pause or animation or something. If you just keep jumping, your legs never come back in to land, looks pretty funny =P
<< When you run right, then left at the start, the camera ''snaps'' suddenly when it realizes its leaving the borders. >>

You are correct. Need to fix that for the left side. Thanks. Its called the "polish" in that article by Geoff Howland. I''ll try to fix these when I make a side-scroller game out of it. A month or two depending how much time per day I spend.

A Path to Game Development

<< Also when you''re jumping and land, you need some sort of pause or animation or something. >>

Yeah, looks weird. Also I need to figure out how to check for how long you hold the CTRL (jump) key, for three different jump heights, very short time for very short jump, medium time for med jump, and long for highest jump. More polish.

Phil P
Works fine for me. Are you using time based motion? It doesnt really feel right to me, but that may be just me.

WindowsXP Pro. Pentium 3 1GHz. 512MB Ram. gforce 2 ti 400 32mb.
Rate me up.
<< It doesnt really feel right to me, but that may be just me. >>

Yeah, maybe too slow motion. I''m trying to make it feel like the original Super Mario Bros, maybe need to speed it up a bit. Was using a delay between frames.

VazGames.com

Phil P
Very nice, worked fine on my machine. Can''t wait to see the final game.
Looks great!

It snaps when you run out a little and then start running back to the beginning.

~Wave

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement