Need some advice really bad....

Started by
2 comments, last by no one 20 years ago
Hello everyone, Ive asked questions simular to this before but I never worded my self right to explain my problem and now it''s important that I figure out what to do. My problem is, is that I have registered for a local college which starts may 15. I have talked to a counslor (which none of them seem to know what the hell im talking about) about taking computer science focused on software. They all keep telling me that software engineering is what I want to take, but I don''t think it is. To get an engineering degree, I would have to take a manditory 2 years of classes before I can even start on the associates. I, like a lot of you, would like to work in the games industry someday so I want to take in school what would be best to help make the dream a reality someday. Of course I am going to take a lot of math anyway, but I want to start taking the computer science classes asap. Of course I would like to stay flexable enough to where I am not limited to the game dev industry, but I don''t want to take a course focusing on programming drivers or word processors . Please, Im depending on your replies, please help me out. Thank you a ton, in advance guys! ~Jason
"Make it a habit to be loyal to the activities that serve the highest part of yourself."
Advertisement
If you want a job making software, the skills that will serve you best are to be learned in software engineering. That''s what a coder is, after all: a software engineer. With that said, current software engineering programs tend to lack depth in the arena of computing theory, and at times this can be a handicap. So you should probably look at the classes for each of these tracks, and try to determine which would work better for you from this college.

Also keep in mind that your decision should in large part be based on what classes look _interesting_ to you. Picking purely based on your estimate of what the "market value" of the classes would be, will lead to dissatisfaction and burnout. Don''t be that guy.

Also, becoming a successful software engineer is impossible without lots and lots of experience. Your skills as a programmer will be primarily shaped not by what you learn in class, but by what you learn out of class. Do plenty of projects on your own time, and either one of those tracks will be fine.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
Well, since we don''t know anything about your college''s curriculum, we aren''t really the right people to ask. Perhaps, the counselor recommends engineering because computer science at your college focuses on I.T. instead of programming.

Why do you have to take 2 years of classes before you can start? That seems odd. Is it because the college doesn''t offer an engineering degree, so you have to take classes in order to transfer to one that does?
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
The college has the course, they said that anyone taking ''engineering'' have to take physics, chemestry, and math up to calc2 I think it was.

Tech schools and "game colleges" Ive heard are not really smiled upon in the industry and plus, I feel they work to fast anyway.

Maybe its that Im not sure what computer science is?... Anyway, If it comes down to it and I will have to take the 2 year gen ed class, Ill do it. I just hope I don''t make a mistake that will cost me 20,000+ dollars.

Thanks so far guys
"Make it a habit to be loyal to the activities that serve the highest part of yourself."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement