md2 problems

Started by
1 comment, last by Khaos Dragon 20 years ago
My problems with 3d models is that I can never find a stable model format. I may find a 3d model loader that will work with the models and/or textures provided in the tutorial, but will crash on any others I try (this is the case with nehe, gametutorials, or even the OpenGL Game Programming book). Anyways to get to the specific problem, I am using the md2 loader provided by Kevin Hawkins and Dave Astle''s Open GL Game Programming book and it works for the two models they provide. The other models I do try load only when I use one of the two original pcx files that do work, but it looks silly to use a pcx texture on a model it was not intended for. Essentially if I use any other pcx file other than the original two for the texture, it crashes, and this is really frustrating me. Just wondering if anybody here knows what the problem may be. Thanks
Advertisement
The same happened to me. Try to convert pcx to bmp or tga and then load a model. It should work!

I''ve got problems with 3d models too. I can''t find any really good and simple format. It''s always to much to learn. I''ve just begun creating a game and everything stopped immediatelly. I can''t create a real good terrain engine, who could detect which parts of it to draw and which not to. Got the idea?!
I believe I may have found the stable model format!

What I found that when I used mspaint to convert a pcx image to a 24-bit bmp it always loaded. However the colors were all the wrong spots. I noticed that they still seemed to have some pattern so the texture was probably read in wrong or applied in the wrong direction. So after a little playing with paint, I found that if I rotated the bmp''s by 180 degrees, and then flipped them horizontally, the skin worked perfectly.

If any beginners need help with an easy to work with md2 loader and animator feel free to contact me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement