Visualizing Matrices Operations...

Started by
2 comments, last by Prozak 20 years ago
...like the projection matrix, the model space matrix, the clip matrix, the eye matrix, etc, etc, etc... Now that I'm learning shaders, it becomes critical to perform the calculations in the correct "space". What tutorials are out there to help us visualize, get a visual feeling for what is going on? ...teaching us why and when we need to bring a certain vector from a space to another space so that calculations can be performed correctly... Its hard to get this math stuff right without visualising it... Salsa cooked it, your eyes eat it![Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][My DevDiary]
[Yann L.][Enginuity] [Penny Arcade] [MSDN][VS RoadMap][Humus][BSPs][UGP][NeHe]
Prozak - The GameDever formally known as pentium3id [edited by - Prozak on March 27, 2004 11:51:15 AM]
Advertisement
I don''t know about tutorials, but there is an excellent book that covers all of this, would be well worth the investment if you plan on doing more with graphics. It''s "Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice, 2nd ed" by Foley, van Dam, Feiner and Hughes. Make sure you get the 2nd edition, as it is in C versus the 1st edition being in Pascal.

The openGL red book covers some of this stuff, though if you are doing programable shaders you are probably doing DX, right? At any rate, I have the ogl red book (as well as the blue book) mirrored on my website.

capn_midnight | Captain Midnight | deviantArt
ACM | SIGGRAPH | Generation5

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I own a lot of books, that one included, gonna have a look.
You have any pages/chapter in particular in mind?

Also, I''m doing this under OpenGL, under Cg, with an ATI 9600 XT...

Got a lot of small shaders working and running and doing neat little effects, bu I need to understand when I have to flip vectors between "spaces" (model, view, projection, clip, eye, etc...).

This is where a visual tutorial showing each step of the pipeline, enabling us to mess with the matrix values, etc, would come in handy...

Salsa cooked it, your eyes eat it![Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][My DevDiary]
[Yann L.][Enginuity] [Penny Arcade] [MSDN][VS RoadMap][Humus][BSPs][UGP][NeHe]
Prozak - The GameDever formally known as pentium3id
This is more about transforms but you might find it of some help: http://www.isner.com/Transform/IsnerTransformManip_04.htm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement