• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chocoboko

A problem with GDI

This topic is 5294 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to load a PNG file with GDI. The PNG loads just fine. I checked the values of the pixels and they seem just fine. I am just having a problem setting it to a GDI bitmap. This is a line from my code: hbmp=CreateDIBitmap(bhdc,pg,CBM_INIT,fiximage,(BITMAPINFO*) pg, DIB_RGB_COLORS); bhdc is an HDC created with "CreateCompatibleDC(0)" pg is a pointer to data with a BITMAPINFOHEADER, followed by the bits of the image. fiximage is the pointer to the bits of the image. The problem is when I BitBlt "hbmp" onto the screen, the image is black with a few white dots. The dimensions of the image are okay. It just shows nothing but a monochrome image. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

Advertisement
gdi programming was something i did a long long time ago.. but if i remember correctly, CreateCompatibleDC(0) will just create a 0x0 or 1x1 monochrome image. You want to do something like this:

HDC hdestdc=GetDC(hwnd); //get dc that you want to be compatible with
hdc=CreateCompatibleDC(hdestdc); //create a new dc that is compatible with the dc associated with hwnd
ReleaseDC(hwnd,hdestdc); //don''t need hdestdc anymore
SelectObject(hdc,hbm); //bust the bmp into the new dc

note: hbm is the bitmap handle.

-j

Is that regular GDI or GDI+ ? I didn''t know you could load a PNG using plain GDI. I have some great code for setting up the BITMAP but it''s for GDI (not GDI+) and only works when you already loaded the bitmap bits (I used the IJG JPEG Library for it).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!