Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoulSkorpion

Dev-Cpp and DirectInput

SoulSkorpion    238
I''m trying to compile a wrapper for DirectInput based on one of the tutorials on Gamedev.net, using Dev-Cpp. Well, to be more accurate, it''s compiling ok but will not run. When I try to run the program I get a message box popping up saying "The procedure entry point c_dfDIKeyboard could not be located in the dynamic link library dinput.dll". Tracking down and copying dinput.dll into the same folder as the .exe didn''t help (I didn''t think it would, but it was worth a shot). I''ve got the latest version of the DirectX SDK, the Dev-Cpp DirectX Dev-Pack, and Dev-Cpp itself. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, since I can''t really make anything useful without a way of getting user input...

RobD    122
This error has something to do with libdinput.a file in the DirectX Dev-Pack. Try linking with the dinput.lib file from the DirectX SDK instead

SoulSkorpion    238
quote:
This error has something to do with libdinput.a file in the DirectX Dev-Pack. Try linking with the dinput.lib file from the DirectX SDK instead

I''ve had a hell of a lot of difficulty trying to link the DX SDK libraries, posted about it in a variety of different places before finally learning about the Dev-Pack version. I guess I can try a combination of the Dev-Pack''s .as for most of it and dinput.lib for that bit...

Surely people have been able to write DirectX applications using only Dev-Cpp''s materials before? Oh well. I guess I''ll settle for workarounds at this stage. I''ll try it, and see what happens.

quote:
read the FAQ...

Bzzt. Wrong, but thanks for playing. Read the Post again - it''s not a linker error, it''s a dll error once the program''s already compiled. If this was so easily corrected by an FAQ question, I wouldn''t be posting.

Oluseyi    2103
RobD is perfectly correct. The problem is that the DirectX DevPack didn''t export all symbols found in the dinput.lib file, so certain external references can not be resolved. As the exact nature of the reference in question is indeterminate (it''s a GUID is about all I know about it), trial and error is the only method available.

It is possible to skip the static import lib and directly load symbols from the DLL. Try that just for this symbol. I had found a page detailing techniques for all this, but I can''t find it right now. Look up pexport, dlltools and impgen.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I''ve got exactly the same problem. Could you please tell us how you solved it?

Thanks