Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

solipschism

home-brewed vs. ready-made game engine

I'm in the planning phase for an adventure game (realtime 3D, nothing pre-rendered about it) and I'm trying to decide what to do about the engine. Experience has shown me that it takes a long time to develop something robust and current. Adventure games have the deserved reputation of being technologically inferior, and I don't want to perpetuate this stereotype. If I do decide to use a ready-made game engine, it would have to: be under four digits in price (the limitations of self-funding), fully support shaders, come bundled with content creation tools, and be easily modifiable. I'd rather use something based on OpenGL, but that's not as big a concern. I've sifted through the major affordable engines. A lot -- like Torque and the Nebula Device -- seem dated, which isn't a surprise. Gamestudio caught my eye. I'm wary of anything targeted towards novices, as GameStudio seems to be, and "authoring" makes me a little uncomfortable, but the content creation tools look nifty and the price is on the very edge of right ($899). Anyone have any favorites? Or opinions? [edited by - solipschism on March 28, 2004 12:14:25 PM]

I have tried a few engines (Ogre, Nebula Device, Torque) and I have come to the conclusion that Ogre is the best up-and-coming open source engine without content creation tools (they have some, but not many), Nebula Device is the best overall engine which I think includes shaders and content creationt tools (not sure about the tools), and then Torque, which has that annoying "garage games" logo at the start of each game WITH full shader support "on the way" and some of the best content creation tools you could ask for.

If the garage games logo did show up at the begining of each game load (mando by contract) and the full shader branch was stable, I would say go for it and that it''s your best best.

MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

Thanks! Apparently, I hadn't looked at garagegames.com since before March 19th. I'm seriously considering Torque now; the only problem would be waiting until the new version's release date to try it out. And I think if you purchase a commercial license, the splash screen disappears or becomes optional.

[edited by - solipschism on March 28, 2004 12:39:02 PM]