Redhat 9 and SDL - no good friends

Started by
7 comments, last by FenrirWolf 20 years ago
Argh! So, unable to get my development environment working under Mandrake 9.2, I switched to Redhat 9. All is well and good, except that trying to compile my program with the SDL-devel libraries generates errors about "undefined reference to `__ctype_b`" After searching on the net, I found that this is some kind of core library change in RH9, that appearently is breaking a lot of stuff compiled for RH8 and earlier. The suggestion is to recompile your libraries so they will pick up the RH9 glibc changes. SDL compiles fine, but SDL_mixer fails with: .libs/libSDL_mixer.so: undefined reference to `__ctype_b` ARGH!! What is going on? Why won''t it compile this library? I am > < this close to just saying screw Linux support. I have been trying to get a stable, working Linux environment for the last two weeks and have gotten absolutely nowhere! --- - 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris [[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
--- - 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
Advertisement
if "linux environment" is all you''re looking for...

1. install debian woody
2. upgrade /etc/apt/sources.list to testing
3. apt-get dist-upgrade
4. apt-get install all the software you need.

''apt-cache search '' to find packages

Debian is the most coherent distro i''ve used.
U could get linux mandrake 10 or the easy-to-use Lindows developer edition.
Bruno B
Why are you trying to compile SDL_mixer? You can just install it from RPMS that are included with RedHat 9. Here''s a link to RedHat''s FTP server where you can grab the packages in case you don''t have the installation CD''s handy:

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

Don''t forget, if you''re going to compile your own programs under RedHat you''ll need both the SDL_mixer RPM and SDL_mixer-devel.

Tony
use apt-get in debian - redhat - fedora enviroments...

or give Gentoo a try, i did (and i love it).
emerge [package], and Gentoo downloads it and compiles it for you.

PS: sorry about my english (not native english speaker)
er... yeah. always use the distro''s own packages.

and why redhat9 and not fedora? (redhat10 sorta)
Why don''t you use the RH9 libraries that come with it? I simply installed the runtime and devel RPMs for RH9 (they were on the RH9 discs) and everything was perfectly happy...
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I thought the mandrake cd''s came with SDL already on it, cause that''s what I''m using straight from rpmdrake..
Hmm. Strange.

So I completely uninstalled the RPMs I downloaded from the SDL website, then re-installed the ones I found on Redhat''s website -- and now everything compiles.

I still haven''t got my game to run yet, though. It''s saying there''s a floating point exception and that the SDL parachute has been deployed. *sigh*

---
- 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris
[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
--- - 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement