Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PartyOmNi

bitmap...

PartyOmNi    122
I have made a few games in C++ (text based games) and I wanted to add graphics to it and make it cool (still cheese ball style). I made a few things on adobe photoshop, saved it as a bitmap. How can I add them into the game that I have made? I am currently using VC++ 6.0 student edition. Thank you very much

JohnyB    122
The easiest way to add graphics to your game would probably be to use an API like SDL or Allegro. I suggest SDL since it seems to be a very good API considering what it has to offer and the amount of attention it gets, you can check it out here. If you are really serious you should probably give DirectX or OpenGL a try.

[edited by - JohnyB on March 28, 2004 12:42:18 AM]

RuneLancer    253
I''d recommand SDL for a number of reasons.

1'' Just about every aspect not pertaining to your game itself is handled by it. Message queue, (most) initialization, setting up events...
2'' It''s easy to use.
3'' It''s even easier to get started with. After 2:30 hours, I had downloaded and installed SDL, ported one of my older DirectDraw games to it, and learned enough to begin work on my newest project in it.
4'' Portability. SDL is cross-platform.

DirectX is ok, and the non-graphic related aspects are VERY powerful, but for 2D games (I''m guessing that''s what you want to do, seeing as you have bitmaps you wish to load into your game) SDL is the way to go. If you plan on moving to 3D, you might want to give DirectX a look anyhow, though.

PartyOmNi    122
Thank you guys. About the Direct X stuff, I''ve read some code and I still need to learn more Win32 API coding before I get to it I think. I''ll just take it step by step. Thank you for your comments.

Doc    586
SDL is great, but may be a little too low-level for you. I haven''t had a look at it in a while, but still I suggest you have a look a Allegro.

Evil_Greven    410
I hate to sound like a self-promoter, but I wrote a mini-tutorial on how to create a Tetris-clone in an hour, and what I use there is Windows GDI.

Windows GDI is quite simple to learn, and a hundred times easier than trying to figure out DirectX. You WILL have to move into DirectX or OpenGL later, but for now, I bet Windows GDI will suffice for your projects right now.

Might give it a try

-Greven