Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frogsinmyhair

games in .Net? ...ever?

Will .net ever be a viable language to plop out a game? It needs more "integrated" windows programs to run, and still supports none of the internet friendly features of java or flash. To show how well it can run a 3d engine, I saw microsoft got ID to release Quake II.net, but you still have to import huge files to run it (pinched out of the quakeIIdemo zip file), and thats after you get that .net software on your hardrive. Does it have any benefits? _erik

First of all, .NET is not a language, but a platform.

> It needs more "integrated" windows programs to run,
I don''t know what you mean by this, but the only thing you need to run .NET programs is the .NET framework, which you only need to install once, just like the Java VM.

> and still supports none of the internet friendly features of java or flash.
What are you talking about? What features? .NET is perfect for web applications. At work, we create web applications in .NET. Internet-support is built in, just like XML.

Is it viable platform to plop out a game? I think it is, even more than Java. First of all, performance is better. Certainly if you consider Managed DirectX, the .NET library to use DirectX. And the next Windows-version will have .NET as the primary platform: managed code will run a lot faster than it does right now.

quote:
Original post by frogsinmyhair
Will .net ever be a viable language to plop out a game?

.net is not a language. But continue...

quote:
It needs more "integrated" windows programs to run, and still supports none of the internet friendly features of java or flash.

Not true, it has similar "internet friendly" features to Java (dunno about flash). This specifically includes libraries to do stuff with HTTP; SOAP and its equivalent of RMI (.NET Remoting?)

Also I believe that browser-based .NET applets (or whatever they''re called) run in something similar to a Java securitymanager which prevents them from doing "nasty" things. The principle is the same as Java applets.

quote:

Does it have any benefits?

Well certainly a lot of people seem to quite like C#. It''s relatively easy for newbies, and the tools aren''t (that) bad.

For MS shops, it seems like the way to go. It is likely that MS will be encouraging its use increasingly in the future.

Mark