• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ilankt

Any ideas how to limit DX9 FPS?

This topic is 5199 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Get the time at the start of the frame (starttime), render the frame and wait until starttime+(1000/desiredfps)>=currenttime and then start over again.

[edited by - Randy187 on March 29, 2004 9:02:56 AM]

fractoid:
Thanks, that did the job :-)

VolkerG:
I like that the movment and all that stuff on my game are fixed.

Use time based everything ( distance traveled = timePassed * velocity for example ) What happens if the computer is slower than your framerate? And if it is faster than you lose FPS ( bad )

quote:
Original post by VolkerG
The big question is: Why would you like to do that?

If you don''t limit FPS, your app basically dominates the system, taking all of the CPU''s spare time (watching task manager will show your app running at 98+% CPU usage). If all the user is doing is running your app, this is probably OK. But if you can free up some of that CPU usage without degrading your visuals, why not? The human eye can''t see any difference between 200fps and 100fps. Heck anything over about 40 or 50 fps is going to appear "smooth". Even television is 24 fps (digital is 30, I think).

If you can keep your FPS down, you free up the CPU for other things if needed.

quote:
Original post by BriTeg
quote:
Original post by VolkerG
The big question is: Why would you like to do that?

If you don''t limit FPS, your app basically dominates the system, taking all of the CPU''s spare time (watching task manager will show your app running at 98+% CPU usage). If all the user is doing is running your app, this is probably OK. But if you can free up some of that CPU usage without degrading your visuals, why not? The human eye can''t see any difference between 200fps and 100fps. Heck anything over about 40 or 50 fps is going to appear "smooth". Even television is 24 fps (digital is 30, I think).

If you can keep your FPS down, you free up the CPU for other things if needed.

well, I just realized that the Sleep thing is not good, because it''s not delay just the graphics, it''s delaying all the damn computer...

Are we talking about a game running in fullscreen (no need to give too much CPU to ather processes) or about a windowed application ("more" intelligent sharing of the CPU time)?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!