Loss on schools

Started by
8 comments, last by rayne 20 years ago
Hi i just read the Game Programming Beginners Guide by Dave Astle. So i can go to school for computer science and don''t have to go to a game development school. And can someone tell me do i need any extra schooling to program for consoles.
Advertisement
Most recommend getting a BS in CS (mostly people who got a BS in CS before there were game programming schools) and not going to a specialized game programming tech school. I disagree and therefore I'm looking at going to UAT pretty soon for my BS in game programming.

If you want to eat, sleep, and breath game programming (like I do/want to) then check out this list.

quote:
And can someone tell me do i need any extra schooling to program for consoles.

Not necessarily. If you go to a game programming school then you will definitely get a taste of console programming. Which, if you want to write games for a console then you must first obtain the console SDK (Software Development Kit) and then of course learn it.

BTW, they say the XBOX is just like a PC and can be modified to run normal PC apps…

[edited by - DIRECTXMEN on March 29, 2004 10:10:54 AM]
quote:Original post by DIRECTXMEN
If you want to eat, sleep, and breath game programming (like I do/want to) then check out this list.
quote]

My biggest problem with chosing schools is location and money. but i cheak out UAT and i saw that they have online classes for gam development. So is taking online classes ok for game development.

[edited by - rayne on March 29, 2004 10:26:14 AM]

BTW, they say the XBOX is just like a PC and can be modified to run normal PC apps?

ya XBOX is really a PC, but microsoft has done something to it, it is not that easy to write normal apps running on it. but it can be done u just need some special tools. i havn''t tried but i''m sure it can be done.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------In history, only steam engine and electromagnetics impelled human beings to make progress......
quote:Original post by rayne
My biggest problem with chosing schools is location and money. but i cheak out UAT and i saw that they have online classes for gam development. So is taking online classes ok for game development.

It depends--but not really. It's not where you go...but what you do there. If you can take classes from an accredited college, receive a degree from them, and a be game programming wiz with lots of demos/examples of your knowledge with out ever leaving your chair at home, then you've got it made.

[edited by - DIRECTXMEN on March 29, 2004 10:37:10 AM]
quote:Original post by Challenger17

BTW, they say the XBOX is just like a PC and can be modified to run normal PC apps?

ya XBOX is really a PC, but microsoft has done something to it, it is not that easy to write normal apps running on it. but it can be done u just need some special tools. i havn't tried but i'm sure it can be done.

Cool, but don't misquote me.

[edited by - DIRECTXMEN on March 29, 2004 10:35:49 AM]
MS changed the registers on the CPU''s, IRQ and Interupts are not used like they are on the PC. As there are no PCI bus or other devices that they are needed for.

XBOX dev there is a registration for developers, http://www.xbox.com/en-us/dev/default.htm

Although in the dev kit they give you a PC with a XBox version of DX on it.

--
What are you nutz?

I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.
--What are you nutz?I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.
quote:Original post by afterburn
Although in the dev kit they give you a PC with a XBox version of DX on it.

So a PC is included with the purchase of the dev kit? If so, go Bill!
there is no "purchase" required. However there is your registration is. That requires that you be an established game creator, with hardware or software.
--What are you nutz?I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.
actually theres many sites to get you up and running with your own homebrew software on the xbox. With a modchip installed you can just copy your programs to your xbox hard drive and run them off there for testing. They also have projects like the OpenXDK (xbox developement kit) that will allow you to program xbox apps legally without the real XDK (which is obtainable, but that''s immoral and illegal)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement