Time jumps, and background story.

Started by
13 comments, last by Ketchaval 20 years ago
Max Payne 2 takes place along at least two timelines interweaving. You start out in the present, then jump to the past, then later on you intersect with the present and then continue from there.

- It''s a life''s work

40% Off ALL Hosting Plans THROUGH March!!!
-ryan@lecherousjester.com
Advertisement
This idea has been discussed here and here and here, and probably in dozens of other threads.

Basically, the conclusion we always come to is that this sort of thing is difficult to implement, and requires a colossal creative investment. I''m sure it can be done, but I''m equally sure that it won''t be easy. Messing with time always causes trouble, especially with writing. Basically, doing this with the story invokes many of the same paradoxes that rule Time Travel. Wow, that''s a lot of links for such a short post.

I''d like to take this opportunity to point out that in the third thread I linked to, yours truly totally comes up with the system that made Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time so cool. Damn, I''m innovative.
I played a great game that worked like that last year: Shadow of Destiny / Shadow of Memories by Konami. Adventure game with a lot of timetravel. Really cool. clicky
I''d like to go on record as having absolutely hated that game. Slow, linear (excepting a few forks in the plot which served exclusively to unlock new endings) and at times annoying, Shadow of Destiny offered absolutely nothing that couldn''t be had, and had better, from the walkthrough. I wish that I had gone to gamefaqs before renting it and just read four pages of text. It takes less time, and since there''s nothing that really qualifies as challenge in the game (hassle isn''t challenge), reading it would have been just as satisfying.
Yeh, if its the same game im thinking of, it sucked big time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement