SDL resources

Started by
6 comments, last by QzarBaron 20 years ago
ok i am sick and tired of using Direct Draw. So i want to start using SDL the problem is i dont know where to start. If anybody knows of good books or resources please help me out.
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
Advertisement
why not use direct3d with quads in screen space? ... by that i mean using textured squares just like you would in 3d space, except these are specified in 2d screen space. if your intrested check out the sdk on how to use RHW coordinates.

sorry i didnt answer your question though...i dont konw anything about sdl
I would recommend "Focus on SDL" by Ernest Pazera. Some basic C/C++ knowledge is all you need to understand it. In addition to all of SDL''s features, it covers some additional SDL libraries like sound, network, text output and an easier sound library than the one already present in SDL.

When you''re comfortable with most of SDL''s functions, the documentation is a nice place to freshen up your memory.
2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2
I learnt pretty much everything I know about SDL from the documentation and Cone3D''s tutorials so those are the best places to start out.
This is an excellent book that i bought a while ago, it covers all the SDL library. It is available freely here or you can buy it from no starch press

The name of the book is "Programming Linux Games", but most of the books will work with any operating system. There''s only a small part where it is Linux specific.

hope that helps !
Matt
Matt
thats pretty much the only down-side to SDL. its so dman great, yet theres practially no resources on it . only a few (small) books, and basically theres no "big and nice" SDL forum, which is prolly the worst thing of all. so far i found the most help at the sdl mailing list (why dont they just get a damn forum?). the people there are very nice and i always get my question answered. if your really stuck with a problem, they should be able to help you. even Sam Latingua posts there regularaly (the creator of SDL the dude from Blizzard)
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
quote:Original post by Spudder
I learnt pretty much everything I know about SDL from the documentation and Cone3D''s tutorials so those are the best places to start out.

I second that.

It''s like people need books for everything nowadays. With all due respect to the OP, there are more than enough resources available online to learn how to use SDL. Hell, if it took me 2.5 hours to download it, install it, learn it, and convert an old DirectDraw project of mine, it''s obviously not because resources are so lacking as to make it impossible to do anything.

Just bloody damn try stuff. Five bucks you can get something up and running quite well after only two or three hours.
linky to cone3d
"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement