Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is 5005 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking more along the line if you had a number like 7.1, and you needed to take the CEIL to the nearest one sixteenth of an inch(0.0625). Excel lets you do CEILING(7.1, 0.0625) and gives back 7.125. Is there a c++ way to do this?

This will round v to nearest multiple of q.

v = 7.1;
q = 1/16;
r = q*round(v/q);

round() is a function that rounds to nearest integer (code taken from a MALTAB script of mine). Replace round with ceil/floor to round up/down to nearest multiple.

That is so awesome. I was doing something stupid like iterating through a for loop, to acheive the same result. But what you suggested is just so much more cleaner, probably alot more efficient to. Thanks much.

If it''s that valuable to you, you should probably encapsulate it in a function:

double granularCeil(double input, double quantum) {
return std::ceil(input/quantum) * quantum;
}

Handling a quantum of 0 gracefully, dealing with floats (and possibly other numeric types? Do you maybe have a Rational number class you''d want to do this with?) etc. is left as an exercise for the reader.

quote:
Original post by kelaklub
I was ... iterating through a for loop ... But what you suggested is just so much more cleaner, probably alot more efficient to..

Probably?!?!?

[ CodeDread ]