Sources of revenue

Started by
20 comments, last by superpig 20 years ago
Hey all, I''m writing an essay on the game development industry (specifically, how it relates to software piracy), and I''m discussing possible sources of alternate revenue for a game company - that is, revenue aside from that generated by retail sales. So far I''ve got:
  • Subscription payments
  • Extra content
  • Product placement
  • Technology licensing
I realise, of course, that those methods aren''t suitable to every game/company, and that there are subtleties with each. I have, of course, talked about them in the essay. Can anyone think of any more?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
3rd party investment, i.e. taking the company public.

capn_midnight | Captain Midnight | deviantArt
ACM | SIGGRAPH | Generation5

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Merchandising...it''s not a source for major profits, but it can generate *some* revenue.
Assorted subsidiary rights. Books, comics, films, toys and hints/solutions books.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions (www.obscure.co.uk)
Game Development & Design consultant
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
On the side consultation as well. A studio could offer generic software development for interested parties too, (depending on the state of the game dev studio, and whether they need constant cash flow).

~Graham

----
while (your_engine >= my_engine)
my_engine++;
Excellent, thanks guys. I'm also adding 'outsourced work' to the list (doing licensed ports and stuff).

If you have any more, keep them coming....

[edited by - Superpig on March 29, 2004 12:15:14 PM]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote:Original post by capn_midnight
3rd party investment, i.e. taking the company public.
A nit, but capital investment isn''t revenue.
Stratergy guides? How about in-game advertising (I assume EA and the like don''t put ads on their game stadiums out of the goodness of their hearts).
quote:Original post by OrangyTang
Stratergy guides?
Good one - I'm not sure if it overlaps with 'IP Licensing' though (which is what I'm putting all the merchandising stuff under).

quote: How about in-game advertising (I assume EA and the like don't put ads on their game stadiums out of the goodness of their hearts).
That's product placement. Well, it's kinda product placement. I'm considering it to be product placement.

[edited by - Superpig on March 29, 2004 12:47:32 PM]

quote:Original post by OrangyTang
Stratergy guides? How about in-game advertising (I assume EA and the like don''t put ads on their game stadiums out of the goodness of their hearts).

That may have something to do with the license EA got from the owners to use the stadiums in game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement