innovatie puzzle games

Started by
9 comments, last by Ars BLS FAME 20 years ago
anyone know of the most innovative puzzle games of all-time?
Advertisement
according to who? these are my picks:

tetris, though i don''t know if it''s technically a puzzle game...i guess it is

the myst series

breakout

bubble bobble (super fun, more of breakout on acid-type game than purely innovative)

-me

(insert shameless plug here)
Mine is the most inovative, of course.
Complete with graphics that don't make any sense.
Piquone

I'm very fond of Alchemy and other puzzle games that on Shockwave.com. Lots of games there seem to use the disapearing puzzle piece feature. I guess that's from Tetris which would make Tetris the most inovative puzzle game that comes to mind.

[edited by - kseh on March 29, 2004 6:58:32 PM]
I can think of plenty of innovative puzzle games, but why is this in my forum if it''s not about puzzle game stories? A thread about puzzle game design should go in the design forum...

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

then move it to the GD forum, anyone have examples of good action/puzzlers? if its not too much trouble
Puzzle Road aka Daedalian Opus

Fill up a form with pieces you can rotate and flip.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

I quite liked the fool''s errand. It''s pretty old and if I remember right you solved little puzzles and each one would give you a piece to solving a larger puzzle.

Some puzzles were annoying and obscure, but it is fun for a while. You can get it at www.the-underdogs.org
i would say the most innovative puzzle games i have played have been ''The Incredible Machine'' series.
Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.
I''ll take this opportunity to plug *my* puzzle game - Interlocken.

Download it from Keep Thinking Games.
quote:Original post by kseh
I''m very fond of Alchemy and other puzzle games that on Shockwave.com. Lots of games there seem to use the disapearing puzzle piece feature. I guess that''s from Tetris which would make Tetris the most inovative puzzle game that comes to mind.

[edited by - kseh on March 29, 2004 6:58:32 PM]

I would argue that many of the games on Shockwave.com are not innovative at all. A great number of shareware games these days seem to be variations on the "re-arrange items into similar groups so that they disappear" theme - and, taken to it''s logical extreme, those games could all be descendants of Columns.

The Incredible Machine games were good - it''s nice to see that line of games continue with Chain Reaction, available from GarageGames.com. Also available from there is Bridge Construction Set, which I like a lot.

Personally, though, the most innovative puzzle game in recent years that I can think of is Wetrix on the N64. The aim, for those who don''t know, is to place walls on and around a floating island to prevent rain from escaping. That''s a rubbish description; the game itself is complicated but brilliant, especially in two-player mode.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement