Starting PS2 Development

Started by
12 comments, last by v0dKA 20 years ago
I want to take up ps2 development, but I don''t know what I need to get started. I prefer, if possible, to use C++. I have ms visual studio 6.0, a ps2, CD''s, and a CD burner, and my instincts say that''s all I need. Is there anything else I need to get started? Anyone have any good guides to get started? ------------------------------------------------------------ .:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.
.:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.
Advertisement
probably a mod chip or the ps2 linux kit

Enjoy.
quote:It''s entirly possible to write demos, games, and applications for your PS2 using your PC, for little to no money.

All you need is a PC, a PS2, some way of connecting your PS2 to your Computer (i.e. Network adapter or PL2301 usb networking cable), and some way to boot homebrew code on your PS2 (i.e. modchip, ps2-ind, ps2linux, etc...)

ps2dev.org is probably the best place to start looking for information. Be warned that you should have a firm grip on programming with c/c++ before trying to take on the PS2.

A few things...

MS Visual Studio won''t do you a lot of good. There is a free toolchain available at ps2dev.org that works great however.

For the most part, without a modchip you can''t read CDrs in a PS2, especially for the idea of booting with it. But you can still get homebrew running on your PS2.. The method I recommend is called the ps2-independence exploit. I won''t go into details about it in this post, but in order to use it you need some method of putting custom save files on your PS2 memory card (such as the commercially available Xport, or a friend with a modded PS2)

Or, as already mentioned, you can grab the ps2linux kit and treat your PS2 just like it was a mips based linux computer

Drakonite

Shoot Pixels Not People
Shoot Pixels Not People
quote:Original post by v0dKA
I want to take up ps2 development, but I don''t know what I need to get started. I prefer, if possible, to use C++.

I have ms visual studio 6.0, a ps2, CD''s, and a CD burner, and my instincts say that''s all I need. Is there anything else I need to get started? Anyone have any good guides to get started?

------------------------------------------------------------

If you get the ps2 linux kit you can get 6 of the official PS2 manuals and an environment that''ll allow you to boot your software without much trickery.

There''s a reasonably active community at http://www.playstation2-linux.com/

Sure, you have to wrestle with linux wanting to share the PS2 with you, but there are a number of tools that minimize that and some benchmarks have shown that it''s possible to churn out almost as many triangles as the native development does.

There''s a programming with the linux kit introduction at:
http://playstation2-linux.com/coding-on-playstation2.php
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Sure, you have to wrestle with linux wanting to share the PS2 with you, but there are a number of tools that minimize that and some benchmarks have shown that it's possible to churn out almost as many triangles as the native development does.

While I realize the OP is just beginning PS2 so it doesn't matter too much. Realize that on the Linux kit, Linux is still running. So if you are trying to do anything that pushes the hardware to the limit, you will have different results than the "real deal".

IMHO it breaks down like this. If you are new to programming, and new to graphics. The PS2 Linux kit is probably the way to go. However, if you are comfortable with programming and graphics. I would go with PS2Dev, since it's more like the "real deal". That being said, you can use Linux to boot the ps2dev stuff. So if you've got the money. It's a win-win.

edit: stupid HTML

[edited by - Rob Smith on April 7, 2004 12:52:33 PM]
Dumb this down for me...

I''m considering buying the ps2 linux kit. But I dont know the first thing about this, so...

1. As far as I understand, you don''t even need a computer for this, right? Is all the coding done on the ps2?

2. Is the programming language C++?

3. Does my ps2 have to have a mod-chip?

4. Does the ps2 become, in a way, like a desktop computer?

Thanks for da help.

quote:Original post by v0dKA
1. As far as I understand, you don't even need a computer for this, right? Is all the coding done on the ps2?
With PS2linux, you don't need one. With ps2dev, you need one.
quote:2. Is the programming language C++?
C++ or C; those are what most people use. If you use ps2linux, you have a much wider selection of languages.
quote:3. Does my ps2 have to have a mod-chip?
ps2linux: no. ps2dev: yes.
quote:4. Does the ps2 become, in a way, like a desktop computer?
ps2linux: yes. ps2dev: no.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

[edited by - sneftel on April 9, 2004 3:53:17 PM]
quote:Original post by Sneftel
quote:3. Does my ps2 have to have a mod-chip?
ps2linux: no. ps2dev: yes.

Just to clarify. there is a way to do it the ps2dev way without a mod chip. Most popular being the PS2 Independence exploit. I think there is some sort of swap trick too.
All right, thanx.

One more question I meant to ask: What is so "Linux" about "ps2Linux"? Is it an OS? Is it an environment kinda like ms visual dev? Or are u basically making ur ps2 a computer, so, in essence, it could be used just like one (ability to save on folders, etc.) ?

You turn your linux into a desktop.

You have 40 gb of space to store stuff. You can download, install, and run: mp3 players, web browsers, various servers (mine's running ssh and cvs right now), instant messenger clients (mine's running gaim), you can't run visual studio, but kdevelop runs on it.

[edited by - atcdevil on April 9, 2004 4:50:57 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement