Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiggy

Initializing An array in a class.

Quiggy    122
I''m trying to do something really simple. Just setting up a game board. Here''s what I have so far.
#pragma once

class CGameData
{
private:
	char GameBoard[] = {'' '', ''|'', '' '', ''|'', '' ''};

public:
	CGameData(void);
	~CGameData(void);
};
When I compile, it complains at my array init statement saying ''Syntax error : ''{'' However when I take it out of the class and just put it into a regular cpp it compiles fine. Why won''t this work in my class? Thanks Quiggy What am I doing wrong?

yes but how can you initialize an array after its been declared? i dont know the answer to this question either, but id like to know. ive had the same problem in the past and posted it here, and the answer wasnt what i wanted something about pointers to pointers and such. i dunno, man. just make it a global like i did

Palidine    1315
you can''t initialize member variables in your class definition. C++ is different from java that way. the short is that you can''t do what you want to do. you have to do something like this:

class CGameData
{
public:
CGameData();
private:
char GameBoard[5];
};

CGameData::CGameData()
{
GameBoard[0] = '' '';
GameBoard[1] = ''|'';
GameBoard[2] = '' '';
GameBoard[3] = ''|'';
GameBoard[4] = '' '';

}

pain in the butt, but there you go. if you want to be 1337 about it, write a txt file parser and read your gameboard in from a .txt file. that way you don''t have to recompile your game to change the game board.

-me