Initializing An array in a class.

Started by
3 comments, last by Quiggy 20 years ago
I''m trying to do something really simple. Just setting up a game board. Here''s what I have so far.

#pragma once

class CGameData
{
private:
	char GameBoard[] = {'' '', ''|'', '' '', ''|'', '' ''};

public:
	CGameData(void);
	~CGameData(void);
};
When I compile, it complains at my array init statement saying ''Syntax error : ''{'' However when I take it out of the class and just put it into a regular cpp it compiles fine. Why won''t this work in my class? Thanks Quiggy What am I doing wrong?
Advertisement
You have to initialize variables within your constructor, not on the same line as you delcare them within your class.
yes but how can you initialize an array after its been declared? i dont know the answer to this question either, but id like to know. ive had the same problem in the past and posted it here, and the answer wasnt what i wanted something about pointers to pointers and such. i dunno, man. just make it a global like i did
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
you can''t initialize member variables in your class definition. C++ is different from java that way. the short is that you can''t do what you want to do. you have to do something like this:

class CGameData{public:    CGameData();private:    char GameBoard[5];};CGameData::CGameData(){    GameBoard[0] = '' '';    GameBoard[1] = ''|'';    GameBoard[2] = '' '';    GameBoard[3] = ''|'';    GameBoard[4] = '' '';}

pain in the butt, but there you go. if you want to be 1337 about it, write a txt file parser and read your gameboard in from a .txt file. that way you don''t have to recompile your game to change the game board.

-me
Wow that was fast!

I put it into the constructor and it works like a charm.

Thanks for the help.

Quiggy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement