Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Khaos

Drawing fractals?

I don''t understand how the Mandelbrot set and others are graphed. How is an imaginary axis any different than a renamed y axis? Are they the same thing more or less? I know not, but how so? I don''t really understand how graphing "complex" equations makes very interesting effects. How do you determine color and such? Why couldn''t you do the same thing on a normal x-y axis plane? What does an imaginary i do to a number to make the visual results any different? Lastly, any links to simple fractal viewer code? Thanks for any help.

Fractint is a good fractal explorer... its been around for aaaages

http://spanky.triumf.ca/www/fractint/fractint.html

Its a good place to start learning about fractals in general.

A.

The mandelbrot set is binary, i e black and white.

It is defined using a function on a complex number, resulting in another complex number, and points in the set are points that stay within the set, even during infinite iterations.

Typically, when you plot the mandelbrot, what you actually plot is points OUTSIDE the set, and you plot a value that depends on how fast a point will reach some distance from the center which allows you to determine that the point will definitely escape. The number of iterations required to escape this radius is typically turned into a palette index, and the pretty colors come from the palette.