Making STL error messages understandable

Started by
17 comments, last by Qw3r7yU10p! 20 years ago
Thanks, Leor.

And thanks for such a cool tool.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
we do not need you posting advice that noone has asked for IMHO.

That''s a difficult statement for me to understand because I don''t know who it is that you are speaking for when you say ''we'' and where you got the authority to assume that role.

The phrase ''In My Humble Opinion'' (IMHO) would be a helpful phrase if I knew who you were and understood your humble opinion to be often correct and always humble. As it is I can''t really take what you are saying seriously.

Thanks for reading the post though. At least you''ll know about the tool if you need it.

Pete
Words
Shh.

STL error messages arn''t that bad, the details are there for a reason.

To mister AP!

This post was not aimed to you. Even if YOU think it is easy to understand theese messages, most of the beginners just get
confused by them. This post was directed to those that are intimidated by theese error messages. If you would have read
the post you would have realised that. Hence you would have
no need to reply in the first place.
-------------------------------------------------Founder and DirectorAllSoft Studios
Most beginners do not use templates or the STL.

What about those who are beginning using the STL?
Most beginners try to write their own code which is slower and more error prone than the STL. Then they come here and get told to use the STL by us. Then they get a 2Kb error message and come here to ask what it means. STLFilt removes the last step so they don''t need to post here asking what it means.
May I speak for all APs in forwarding the motion that the OAP is just being a complete muppet.
for the poster that said beginners don''t use STL, you we''re right years ago ... but not anymore ...

Stroustroup''s entire intention is to learn at a higher level, and that means letting people use "string" and "list" and "map" even before they would have any idea how to write them corretly .. hence why even a newbie program would give a cryptic error message for an error using a simple map of strings in a newbie program ...

I personally don''t use the STL filter, but I''m glad it exists, and wish I had it 3 years ago.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement