VS TexCoord generation performance

Started by
1 comment, last by Captian Goatse 20 years ago
What is the texcoord generation performance on older hardware? I''m talking about gf3 and gf4, at least gf4 gives pretty damn good performance, worse than vertex buffer, but a lot better than simple arrays. This is in OpenGL and the memory advatange from the dynamic generation seems really, really wonderful, because I''m paging stuff. Anyone got any prior experiences of this? I know new hardware can hack it, but what about the older one?
Advertisement
I use texture coordinate generation for my terrain and it seems to have a very minor performance hit. I use it on a GeForce2MX200 and MX400 as well as a GeForce4MX. To be honest, i am not sure if the performance hit is even measurable... but then it could have a lot to do with where the bottle necks in your rendering pipeline are. My GeForce2''s are defintely fill rate limited.

super genius
I use it for raycasting cloud shadows onto my terrain, and for fog (Multipass blending + fog = fugly, TexGen fog + multipass blending = Perfect)

I don''t notice a perf hit at all, but I am bandwidth bound in my app.

gf2mx400 btw.
Waramp.Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.That way, when you do insult him, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have his shoes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement