How much slower is directx under VB.NET then under c++?

Started by
7 comments, last by kolpo 20 years ago
I like to program in VB.NET but I heard it is somewhat slower for directx then c++, how much slower is it actually especially for direct3D and directdraw? If it is only a 10-30% difference then I don''t care so does anyone know how much slower it is? BTW, are there any game/graphical engines for VB.NET?
Advertisement
Managed DirectX is suppose to be 95% of normal DirectX speed
It''s author claims even higher figures: roughly 97%. Tests from various people run around 93%, with some as low as 90% or even 85%.

Here''s the cinch, though: it doesn''t matter.

The majority of hobbyists won''t tax Managed DirectX to its limits, and 85% of an FPS figure that was originally in the multiple hundreds is still in the multiple hundreds - pretty damn good.

Use it.
Hmmm, that is interesting.

All I know is that when I run managed Direct X (graphics) on Axiom versus the OpenGL path (via Tao), that OpenGL is quite a bit faster. Say 20%+ percent minimum.

You are right that most developers probably won''t tax that anyway, regardless. But, I figure that ''free cycles'' are just the thing the doctor ordered for extra AI, or lower system requirement, or what have you.
quote:Original post by Gladius
You are right that most developers probably won''t tax that anyway, regardless. But, I figure that ''free cycles'' are just the thing the doctor ordered for extra AI, or lower system requirement, or what have you.
Most hobbyists won''t live up to that pipe dream either. It''s sad, but most of us hobbyists have overinflated views of our own prowess and the needs of our programs.

Me? Python + PyGame for 2D, C# + Managed DX (or Axiom) for 3D.
If you are looking to eventually get a job as a game programmer, than you better use unmanaged DirectX & C++.
However, if it just a simple hobby, then go ahead and stick with managed direct X.
-Unsuspected
Thanks it seems to be not that much of a difference. I program in VB.Net for my job and this is just as hobby so I prefere to do it in VB.NET. Are there any game/graphical engines for VB.NET so I don''t have to deal with too much technical stuff?
I would recommend coding directly with DX9.
Most premade engines out there has some way to do things that you won''t like so it''s better to just do it yourself.

But if you insist on using a premade engine anyway try this one out...
http://purplesharp.sourceforge.net

<-Sweenie->
i''m making an engine for parctice and it''s quite fun except when things don''t work like my dynamic vertex buffer class

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement