Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[java] Double Buffering

This topic is 5005 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just makeing a form the other night when I noticed that the default constructor for JPanel makes one with a double buffer and a flow layout. Question 1: Does the window the JPanel appear have to be double buffered? Question 2: Is it possible to get access to the JPanel''s buffers or do you call paint()?

Hi!:

1) All the Swing components are double buffered by default, if that's what you ask. The window that holds it doesn't have anything to do with the JPanel.

2) You should override the paintComponent() method (instead of the traditional paint() method). That's because Swing does some things in paint(), and if you override them the result wouldn't be the best.

Bye,

Ciro.

[EDIT: I said update() method, which was wrong. Thanks to Anonymous Poster]

[edited by - cyrax256 on March 30, 2004 1:00:58 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
That should be override paintComponent(), look at the java tutorial for doing custom 2D graphics.

You can use createBufferStrategy(int numofbuffers) to get double buffering in a Window or Canvas class/subclass. Then use getDrawGraphics() to get the Graphics to the current backbuffer. Then do a BufferStategy.show() to flip them.

See the wiki here for an example:

http://community.java.net/games/