Borland C++ Builder help!!

Started by
6 comments, last by Rasmadrak 20 years ago
Hi there! I struck upon a rather bizarre problem... I can compile my game just fine, and it runs without problems from within borland. But when I quit borland and try to start it - it starts, gives me a couple errors and the exits. However! If I rar the files needed for the game, and starts it from Winrar (without extracting) it works just fine!! :S Could this be some kind of strange memoryhandling error? It''s the first time it has happened, so anyone got a clue what might be going on...? I''ve struck stone... Please, if someone got a hint... help me. =) /Robert "Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)
"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)
Advertisement
WinRAR does extract your file before executing, to a temporary directory. So, your executable runs fine from the debugging-environment and from another path than the path where you built it I guess...? This probably means that your program gets somehow confused about some files and/or registry settings related to the directory where it''s built....
Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.
Hmmm... since I''m not a wiz with the registry, how can I check if there''s a clash or something? =)

I tried moving the files elsewhere, didn''t help.. :/
It may be a problem related to you using the dynamic libraries under Builder. IIRC, when I last used Borland, I couldn''t run programs from outside of the IDE because the dynamic libraries seem to only exist when the IDE is running.

Somewhere deep within project options is a setting to statically link VCL and runtime libraries. If you toggle those, it might help.

-Auron
quote:Original post by Rasmadrak
it starts, gives me a couple errors and the exits.

I wonder what the errors are.
Do I still need to build with runtime packages even if I don''t use any borland stuff..? :/

I''ve not used any borland component whatsoever.. could this still be a matter of vcl/runtime packages..?

I guess I could trace back my steps, since it worked fine outside borland a couple of days ago... but since I''ve done some major rewriting - I dont know where to begin! =S
The errors are the standard Windows XP thing when something's not working....

I'm using a swedish version so I dont know what they're called in english; but just as the game starts (Before any graphics being draw, just a blank window) it stops and gives three error messages - Each has a "Search for Errors" and "Close"... "If you want technical information about the problem, click here..." and then exits.

------------

I've tried to compile/build with and without dynamic RTL, and checked/unchecked all kind of things in borland... still no clue... I guess the problem lies in my sourcecode... weird thou...

Ah well.. guess it's time for a little more trial and error!! :D

[edited by - Rasmadrak on March 30, 2004 10:13:00 AM]
You want to uncheck "use dynamic RTL" in the project options somewhere, and uncheck "build with runtime packages".

After that, make sure your program is reading its various files from the correct location (e.g. if it expects stuff to be in the same directory as the main executable, make sure that stuff is there!).

[edited by - Alimonster on March 30, 2004 3:56:35 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement