Steping into the code: Shaders

Started by
6 comments, last by Prozak 20 years ago
Is there any sort of program or application out there that enables me to enter a shader, specify a model, and see the result, BUT also do a "pause" and look inside, and step into the code of the shader, allowing me to view step by step whats going on, and what values variables are geting assigned? I have a few bones to pick with shaders... Salsa cooked it, your eyes eat it![Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][My DevDiary]
[Yann L.][Enginuity] [Penny Arcade] [MSDN][VS RoadMap][Humus][BSPs][UGP][NeHe]
Prozak - The GameDever formally known as pentium3id
Advertisement
With VS .NET and DirectX you can debug a shader.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
I''ve heard that indeed you can. Any way of doing something similar, even if using some middle-ware package to simulate the shader pipeline, under OpenGL?

Salsa cooked it, your eyes eat it![Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][My DevDiary]
[Yann L.][Enginuity] [Penny Arcade] [MSDN][VS RoadMap][Humus][BSPs][UGP][NeHe]
Prozak - The GameDever formally known as pentium3id
RenderMonkey is the software you''re looking for. I''m not sure how much debugging support it has.
http://www.ati.com/developer/sdk/radeonSDK/html/Tools/RenderMonkey.html
RenderMonkey won''t help him do it with OpenGL though.
I''m not aware of any tools that let you do shader debugging with OpenGL. You could try asking something similar on the opengl.org message boards, perhaps somebody knows better there.

-Mezz
The next version of RenderMonkey will support OGL but I have no idea when it'll be out, I don't think it'll be *too* long though...

[edited by - Theriomorph on March 31, 2004 4:32:52 AM]
i''ve downloaded rendermonkey 1.5, wich has glslang in..

If that''s not the help you''re after then you''re going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

davepermen.net
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Ah, I see, roll on the public release of RenderMonkey 1.5.
Registered developers get it now, but it''s early April for the rest of us I believe.

-Mezz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement